Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2004 dodge ram, with bully TC 301 brake controller. I have

Customer Question
the controller, yellow wire, which...
2004 dodge ram, with bully TC 301 brake controller. I have the controller, yellow wire, which is the output to the trailer brake connected to the light blue truck wire to the trailer brake at the back of the truck. I have the red wire which is the 12v power connected to the truck red/white which is live 12V constant. I have the black wire which is the ground, connected to the black truck wire, also ground. That leaves the blue wire which is supposed to connect to the stoplight switch. I connected that wire to the truck white and tan or orange, 2nd pin on the switch which is supposed to be the brake switch sensor. When I hit the brake. the 3rd brake light fuse blows immediately, and the trailer brakes do not actuate. The squeeze button on the controller, does operate the brakes on the trailer. The truck brake pedal does operate all the lights on both vehicles normally with the exception of the 3rd brake light. That blue controller wire, is supposed to supply 12v power to light all the lights when the hand brake is applied. When the foot pedal is applied, 12v's should flow out of that w/o wire, to actuate the controller and apply the trailer brakes. The controller does what it's supposed to do, but it doesn't get to the trailer brake wire, it just blows the aforementioned fuse. Which brake switch wire am I supposed to connect it to?? The wires are as follows on the brake pedal switch. White/red, white/orange, purple/white 12v live all the time, purple/yellow has 12v live until pedal is actuated-S/C brake, black/orange, green/white. If i unplug the connector on the brake controller, and replace the 3rd brake light fuse, every thing on the truck works normally. Please read this carefully, I don't believe I left any thing out. Except, Help.
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: Yes, a week ago.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Read the note!
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
8/10/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I have enclosed the factory wiring diagram in the link below to use when using an add on system. Have a look at them and see if this is the way your is wired and see if this will help you solve your short.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Trailer%20two%20Aug%2010.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Trailer%20Tow%202%20Aug%2010.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Trailer%20Two%203%20Aug%2010.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It doesn't help. Which wire of the 6 wires, on the brake switch as I explained in the letter, turns on the brake lights, when the controller applies 12 volts to it. The tan and white, goes hot when the pedal is pushed, but if 12 volts is applied back through it, without pushing the pedal (such as using the hand switch) it blows the fuse. I don't want to experiment, at the risk of screwing up the computer or something.

Unfortunately this is all the information I have on an add on system. I will open the post back up for you and perhaps another can help you with this.

If someone can help they will respond back to you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks!!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do not need any more help, I bought a new controller that is specificlly designed for my vehicle. It has customer support, so I shouldn't have any more problems. Thank you for your help.
***** *****e
Ron, ASE Certified Technician