xsvector
xsvector, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  asetech
6149662

I recently had refrigerant added to my 2001 Dodge Grand

Customer Question

I recently had refrigerant added to my 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan sport the following day my check engine light came on and since than its been on and I noticed today when I park the car it just rolls back on Park sometimes I get spark and sometimes it doesn't why what could this be
Category: Dodge
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.

have you scanned for codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry there was a mistype it doesn't spark I meant some times it parks and some times it don't, no I haven't scanned for codes I don't even know what that is
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I see so than I'll have to get that done so did I just pay for nothing
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.

well you learned about check engine lights and get a free follow up..so i would not say nothing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
True so when I get the code will I get an answer or will I have to pay again
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.

no you will get a answer... you can reply back to this conversation

Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.

and dealerships charge 100 to 150 to scan for codes...i informed you of a way to possibly get the codes free

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok phew so tomorrow I'll get it scanned and reply with the code than
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you did ty for that
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.

yes reply here with the code