sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I just changed my water pump and thermostat and now when I

Customer Question

I just changed my water pump and thermostat and now when I excelerate the rpms go really high. When I'm stopped at a light it will idle fine, it's just when I push on the gas and excelerate.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello,There is nothing in the repair that could or would have affected the trans shifting /slipping to raise RPM's. What I am sure you are experiencing is the cooling fan clutch as shown in the diagram link I have attached, It could have been failing and by working with and around it, it is stuck on, This in turn will cause the engine to sound and run high Rpm's as well as could have affected cooling in the past. I really feel you will need a new fan clutch. When they stick, this causes all kinds of different symptoms

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
even though I just replaced the fan clutch you think that it is faulty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I didn't mention that I had changed the fan clutch as well...
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

if you did not do anything with trans or trans fluids, only pump and T stat and you did not have this problem before? you are experiencing a fan clutch issue. Sometimes when they are bad, it sounds real loud when reving engine like huge volume of air and the trcuk can loose power and so on so,, yes, I am not there but if all above agrees as I mentioned? the fan clutch is faulty /defective

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah it sounds like that would be it. So I will take it back to the store and get it replaced then. If the fan clutch isn't working would it cause the car to heat up when sitting idle at a light.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

yes and no. I have seen them cause this when they intraduced this type of cooling fan. Other options outside of pump and stat you did would be a partially blocked radiator or a weeping headgasket that is putting to much combustion into the cooling system, I am not there and helping all I can

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I was just curious. I will get the new fan clutch replaced again and see if that does it.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

ok, all should? go ok other if something else I mentioned is causing this, Please leave feedback for my service provide today, Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the fan clutch supposed to do normally if it is functioning properly as it is not an electric fan? When I start it up the engine revs high for a sec too then drops to normal idle speed?
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

you described it as when you accelerated, this is different information,. I will opt out as I see no relation from water pump to idle. Another expert should be along soon to help. Please save the rating for the expert that can help

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello an welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?