Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Wont shift. DTC: P2769, P0973, 2004 ram 2500 diesel, Yes.

Customer Question
Wont shift. JA: How old is...
Wont shift.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: DTC: P2769
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: P0973
JA: What year is your Dodge?
Customer: 2004 ram 2500 diesel
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Checked fluid, fuses and swapped relays. Havent had much time in the daylight to look at it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
8/3/2016
Dodge Mechanic: HDGENE, ASE Master Tech replied 1 year ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech

These codes would indicate the problem is low or no voltage in the transmission overdrive circuit. I would start by checking the #5 fuse in the fuse block under the hood. If it is OK, next check for voltage at the transmission control relay. Flip it over and you'll find the terminals on the bottom are labled. Start the engine, and check for power on pin 30 and 86. These should be pretty close to battery voltage. Then check for ground on pin 85. This is what turns on the relay. If you find these three to be OK, go down to the 8 way transmission connector. Use a paperclip and backprobe the yellow/orange wire in pin 1. Make sure you get good contact on the terminal, backprobing these seems to take a little extra effort to make contact. It would be a good idea to use a headlamp bulb here. Take a jumper wire to ground, and connect it to one side of the bulb. Take another jumper wire to the other bulb terminal, and use this wire to touch to the paperclip. It's a really big test light. This way you will be pulling some amperage through the wire, checking it's internal condition. Make sure the bulb is as bright as it would be if you hooked it directly to the battery. If all seems good in that circuit, one last thought is to check the neutral safety switch. I have seen a bad NS switch throw these codes before on this transmission.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
DTC codes:
P2769
P0973
P0882
P0573
P0882
P0573Fluid level is fine, slight leaking but not enough to drip off regularly.

Ok, check into my recommendation. SInce you have multiple dtc's it is most likely a loss of power to the transmission electrical circuit.

P0882-TRANS 12 VOLT SUPPLY RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW (DIESEL)

For a complete wiring diagramRefer to Section 8W

Theory of Operation

The Transmission Control Relay supplies power to the TCC, Overdrive, and Governor Pressure Solenoids when in normal operating mode. The Transmission Control Relay Control circuit is constantly monitored by the ECM. If the expected state of the Transmission Control Relay Control circuit is different then the expected state, a corresponding DTC will set and the ECM will de-energize the Transmission Control Relay and place the transmission in Limp-in.

When Monitored:

Continuously with the Ignition on.

Set Condition:

This DTC will set if the ECM monitored voltage of the Transmission Control Relay Control circuit is different than the expected voltage for the period 3.0 seconds.

Possible Causes

FUSED B(+) CIRCUIT OPEN

(T515) TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN

FUSED B(+) CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND

(T515) TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND

(T515) TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO ANOTHER CIRCUIT

TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY

ENGINE CONTROL MODULE

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 48RE - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

1. CHECK IF THE DTC IS CURRENT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ignition on, engine not running.

With the scan tool, read Engine DTCs.

Record the Freeze Frame data for the reported DTC.

With the scan tool, erase DTCs.

Turn the ignition off to the lock position.

Using the Freeze Frame data recorded earlier, try to duplicate the conditions in which the DTC originally set.

NOTE: It may be necessary to road test the vehicle to duplicate the original set conditions.

With the scan tool, read Engine DTCs.

Did the DTC reset?

Yes

Go to 2

No

Go to 10

2. TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY NOT CLICKING

With the scan tool, actuate the Transmission Control Relay.

Is the Transmission Control Relay clicking?

Yes

Go to 10

No

Go to 3

3. CHECK THE TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY

Remove the Transmission Control Relay.

NOTE: Check connectors - Clean/repair as necessary.

Install a substitute relay in place of the Transmission Control Relay.

Ignition on, engine not running.

With the scan tool, erase DTCs.

Start the engine.

With the scan tool, read Engine DTCs.

Does the scan tool display the DTC P0882?

Yes

Go to 4

No

Replace the Transmission Control Relay.

Perform RE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 48RE - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

4. CHECK THE FUSED B(+) CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN

Remove the Transmission Control Relay.

Ignition on, engine not running.

Using a 12-volt test light connected to ground, check the Fused B(+) circuit in the Transmission Control Relay connector.

NOTE: The test light must illuminate brightly. Compare the brightness to that of a direct connection to the battery.

Does the test light illuminate brightly?

Yes

Go to 5

No

Repair the Fused B(+) circuit for an open.

5. CHECK THE FUSED B(+) CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Disconnect the ECM C2 harness connector.

Measure the resistance between ground and the Fused B(+) circuit in the Transmission Control Relay connector.

Is the resistance above 100k ohms?

Yes

Go to 6

No

Repair the Fused B(+) circuit for a short to ground.

6. CHECK THE (T515) TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN

Measure the resistance of the (T515) Transmission Control Relay Control circuit between the Transmission Control Relay connector and the ECM C2 harness connector.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

Yes

Go to 7

No

Repair the (T515) Transmission Control Relay Control circuit for an open.

7. CHECK THE (T515) TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND

Measure the resistance between ground and the (T515) Transmission Control Relay Control circuit in the Transmission Control Relay connector.

Is the resistance above 100k ohms?

Yes

Go to 8

No

Repair the (T515) Transmission Control Relay Control circuit for a short to ground.

8. CHECK THE (T515) TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO ANOTHER CIRCUIT

Measure the resistance between the Transmission Control Relay Control circuit and all other circuits in the ECM C2 harness connector.

Is the resistance below 100k ohms between the (T515) Transmission Control Relay Control circuit and any other circuit(s) in the ECM C2 harness connector?

Yes

Repair the Transmission Control Relay Control circuit for a short to another circuit(s).

No

Go to 9

9. CHECK THE ENGINE CONTROL MODULE

Ignition on, engine not running.

With the scan tool, actuate the Transmission Relay.

Using a 12-volt test light connected to 12-volts, check the Transmission Control Relay Control circuit in the Transmission Control Relay Control connector.

Does the Test Light cycle on and off and illuminate brightly?

Yes

Go to 10

No

Using the schematics as a guide, check the Engine Control Module (ECM) pins, terminals, and connectors for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. If no problems are found, replace and program the ECM per the Service Information. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES/ENGINE CONTROL MODULE - REMOVAL)

10. INTERMITTENT WIRING AND CONNECTORS

The conditions necessary to set this DTC are not present at this time.

Use the Freeze Frame Data to help duplicate the conditions in which the DTC originally set. Pay particular attention to the DTC set conditions, such as, VSS, MAP, ECT, and Load

Using the schematics as a guide, visually inspect the related wiring harness. Look for any chafed, pierced, pinched, or partially broken wires.

Visually inspect the related wiring harness connectors. Look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded terminals.

Wiggle the wiring and connectors while checking for any possible open or shorted circuits.

Check for any Service Information Tune-ups or Technical Service Bulletins that may apply.

Were there any problems found?

Yes

Repair as necessary.

No

Test Complete.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll let you know when I have the results from the diagnostic procedures you outlined.

Very good, if you need more help just let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech