Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I am a 68 yr old woman with a 2006 Gr Caravan with about

Customer Question

Hi Joe! I am a 68 yr old woman with a 2006 Gr Caravan with about 150,000 miles. It just recently started to slow, then stop when I am about 5 miles from home. After it sits I start it & it's ok then. This happened a few times. Very dangerous when driving fast or on a road that has no place to get off. The dealer says fuel pump & possibly tank needs to be replaced, but they said my car was not made in the right place for them to do it for free. Does this sound right? thanks for any help!
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: It is the original pump.
JA: What year is your Gr Caravan?
Customer: 2006 3.8L
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried gas additive, but nothing else yet. My husband might do it himself, but he is also getting old & we would rather the dealer do it for free if possible.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not at this time.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I doubt this is a fuel pump issue. Usually when a fuel pump quits, it quits for good.

There are 3 common causes for this type of stalling you describe . 1 a failing crank shaft position sensor, 2 a failing cam shaft position sensor, and 3 a failing PCM (engine computer). Either one can act up when the engine warms up. Do this: try to get your van to an auto parts store like AutoZone and ask them to connect their scan tool to your vehicle and check for any trouble codes. If there is a code for "loss of crank sensor signal or cam shaft sensor signal" then have the appropriate sensor replaced. If there are no codes at all, then suspect a failing PCM and have it replaced. Most auto parts stores will connect their scan tool for no charge to you.

Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my answer. Let me know if you did or did not. I can send it again if necessary.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello? Do you still need help with your problem?

Chris