Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Small emmissions leak that should be the gas cap. I replaced

Customer Question
it, but they said I...
Small emmissions leak that should be the gas cap. I replaced it, but they said I would have to drive around a week for it to reset. I also just got a new battery for it, which could be another problem. I just want to reset the engine light.
JA: Has your vehicled stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: Yes. Small emmissiins leak. Problem is that I have to get the vehicle registered today, and they said it would take a week of driving around for it to reset.
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2007 Caliber
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: New gas cap
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
8/2/2016
Dodge Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 year ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you
today.
Before we get started though, Please understand that I don't know
your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that
I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does NOT replace a
repair shop.
My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for
my time. Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you
didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

I attached the drive cycle procedures for you as well as the clearing procedure.

Thanks, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It did not work.

It will work, you have to be patient with it. It has to pass*****cycles before the PCM passes it. My personal EVAP system to 2 months before it passed the test. It's out of our control. The car has to be driven exactly to the drive cycle or the monitor will not pass.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need ,e again later on.

Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 1 year ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

You can drive the car 5,000 miles and it still will not pass emissions until you address your P0456 code. You have a small EVAP leak and the very first step will be to perform a air test with a Miller tool 8404 to see if you actually have a external leak or not. If the ball does not drop then you have a leak and you will need to smoke the system. Once you find the leak then you can repair it and the code will clear in 3 good trips, or by erasing with a scantool. Also if the ball on the air test does in fact drop to the bottom then you don't have an external leak and you will need to replace your ESIM which is the leak detection pump.

But I can assure you that resetting the PCM will not correct your issues and a gas cap is the most likely cause of you had a large leak(P0455) and not a small(p0456). We(dealership) charge $110.00 to smoke our evap system to get you fixed up..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

Sorry for the rude interruption, but it is to my understanding that you had the vehicle tested properly and were told that the gas cap was the issue. My information that I supplied to you was how to get the monitors to set assuming you did have the EVAP system tested properly.

Thanks again and let me know what else I can do for you.

I did forget to mention that there are numerous tools out there to test your system and it doesn't have to be done at an over-priced dealer ship. The smoke machine basically all work the same and most shops will test the system for you for 1/2 hour labor because it's simple to do and it should cost you about $50.00 to have it tested if you haven't already done that.

Thanks again, and let me know how else I can help.

Have a great day,

Brad

Me

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor