Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I put a used (WIN) on my 2012 ram. It came with a key fob.

Customer Question

I put a used (WIN) on my 2012 ram. It came with a key fob. When I plugged it in the truck cranked but in a few seconds died and would not crank again.
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: I didn't put a new one but swapped batteries and the same thing happens.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: So far just plugged the new to me WIN into my truck. Is there some sequence I need to do?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The reason I'm swiping the WIN out is my old one was loosing contact. Hit a bump and truck would die - have to jiggle fob to start
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. You cannot install a used WIN module from another truck. It will not work. This is because your PCM is looking for the secret key code from the original WIN. That used WIN has a different code. You must install a new WIN and then have it programmed by a mobile lock smith or the dealer. There is no other way (sorry).

I know that you do not want to hear this but I am a shop foreman at a Ram dealer and have to be truthful with you.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you so much.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome! Please don't forget to rate my service using the just answer star rating system before you leave!

Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in to see if you are able to see my posts. If so, please take a minute to rate my service. I get nothing unless you do.

Thank you in advance!

Chris