kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Our key got wet in the ocean. we dried it out and replace

Customer Question

our key got wet in the ocean. we dried it out and replace the battery. but now its acting like a new starter is needed. but then it will start and then it won't. we took it to the dealer and they said they gave it a jump and then it started.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: it was a little corrosion but we cleaned it. Its a 2009 dodge avenger
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: our only key is in not the best shape. Its being held together with tape.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: when I put my hand on the starter and had someone start the ignition it made a clicking sound and it wouldn't start but it startrd later.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 year ago.

If you felt a click in the starter, the you either have low voltage in the battery is low, or the starter is bad.