Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

Loud ticking when even when jumped...but no start. Is it the

Customer Question

loud ticking when even when jumped...but no start. Is it the starter or the alternator...do you think?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: got up this morning..didn't start for the first time in the entire history of the truck.
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2004 Durango SLT 4.7 liter
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Hoping to fix it myself right now. I was just about to pull the alternator and bring it to the local auto zone to get it tested...the the starter if that didn't work.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I am having the same exact problem on our 201 nissan altima...I used a cigarette lighter plugged in two regular electric outlet thing in the truck to charge cell phones for a few weeks on each of them...I think that thing might have something to do with it. 2001 Altima
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

an alternator will not cause the engine to not start if it was bad even jumping the truck would make the truck start

the odds are the starter itself is bad if the battery cables are both clean and tight and the connections at the starter are clean and tight and the starter itself is clicking when you try to crank it over

the odds are a new starter should correct this issue

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I bet it will be the starter. But in the off case. If I pull the starter and the auto zone tests it and says it's good...what would be the next thing to check?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
can you send me a picture of the engine with the area that the starter is in and what the starter looks like...someone took my manual. Thanks
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

then we would need to see if the starter itself was getting 12 volts to it when holding the key to crank position

1. Disconnect and isolate negative battery cable.
  2. Raise and support vehicle.
  3. NOTE: If equipped with 4WD and certain transmissions, a support bracket is used between front axle and side of transmission. Remove 2 support bracket bolts at transmission. Pry support bracket slightly to gain access to lower starter mounting bolt.
  4. Remove two bolts (3) if equipped with an automatic transmission.
  5. Move starter motor (4) towards front of vehicle far enough for nose of starter pinion housing to clear housing. Always support starter motor during this process, do not let starter motor hang from wire harness.
  6. Tilt nose downwards and lower starter motor far enough to access and remove nut (2) that secures battery positive cable wire harness connector eyelet (1) to solenoid battery terminal stud. Do not let starter motor hang from wire harness.
  7. Remove battery positive cable wire harness connector eyelet (5) from solenoid battery terminal stud.
  8. Disconnect battery positive cable wire harness connector from solenoid terminal connector receptacle.
  9. Remove starter motor.

the starter is located under the truck attached to the engine to transmission

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

how are you making out ?