sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

1998 3.6 dodge grand No cluster, no horn, no head lights, no

Customer Question

1998 3.6 dodge grand
No cluster, no horn, no head lights, no elec door locks,
Have cig lighter, elec windows, turn signals, lights above inst cluster, radio, elec outside mirrors, pull on turn sig get head lights release they go off.
I have Chrysler shop manual, nothing seams to be common except for fuse box under hood.
Checked all fuses under hood, dropped cowling under steering wheel and knee pan, (going to start checking those fuses.)
Have removed bat cable for 3 hrs, and the IOE fuse, connect, hear some relays inside car, eng runs, took it down street, turn around, parked. so fuel is pumping.Transmission is working.
When taking the cowling off, a round white plastic piece I found on floor. 1/4 dia, about 2.5" long, (like a pencil that has been ground down to about 2.5 in. and the tip broken off. don't know where it came from, could of been there for years)
Any ideas where to check?
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
says I cant get ans because my email ID is in your sys. I don't have another email address.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
request confirmation of my request for help. this sys says I have a email account already. ( don't know how), request was at 12:16 est. and system said 3 techs are waiting, paid via Paypal, now 2:22 EST (often 10 min or a whole day) All Im asking is did someone working on my problem?
thank you
Thomas *,
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Phone number is(###) ###-####or Cell(###) ###-#### Thomas ******@******.***
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have quite a few things going on and some electrical testing would need to be done to determine exactly what the problem is, but I believe you either have a body controller issue or possibly a bus communication problem.

Is the instrument cluster completely inoperative as if the key was off?

Did all problems start at exactly the same time?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
First let me say , there has been com problem with your company and leaving me out to hang.
now for car problem,
Yes all indicators laying left.
when I started car and looked at gas and saw nothing was working on cluster. Remind you I have the 3" shop manual with wiring diagrams. some are hard and cant find common on workers vs non workers. but that is your job.
Bed time 9:50 pm. will look in AM for your ans. (What could the white 1/4" round rod be?

Do you have a full capability scan tool?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not sure what a Full Capability Scan Tool is, but I will go to Advance auto and Get one. ( I have Volt ohm meter and lamp on probe )

Advance would have a code reader but probably not a scan tool. An entry level scan tool with the capabilities necessary to diagnose this will start at around $2,000.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, I don't have one of the diagnostic computers.
cant spend $2000 on a $2000 car. I was about to walk out the door and buy a $300 tester, (found most made in china, and people don't rate them as good, So I was going to ask saleman what was best, ***** ***** to Sears and get theirs at about $250.)
I couldn't find "Capability Scan Tool " in the elect testing tool section. found a weard looing probe il will have to make with wire or paper clip. Watched a you tube vid and had all kinds of problems (similar to mine ) and found several bad grounds on a lug at the frame. but that doesn't help me now. sorry got off track.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
if I take out the Body Control Module, and remove the fuse panel, will I be able to visually see any problems, or is it integrated ckt board? I can replace resistors, Caps, and fix most copper wiring and ckt board parts. If the chips are soldered in and are small, I can remove and replace. Hope they just have sockets. Or junk yard may have them. Our junkyards like to crush and get the money for scrap metal vs used parts. Im studying the horn (doesn't work) and wipers (don't work) to see any common connections Wish there was a picture and wiring diagram of Body Control Module. ( what are your work hrs and Time Standard? Im EST. and retired Electronic Tech with BellSouth, and US Navy)

A full capability scan tool would have the ability to monitor data, perform actuator test, read fault codes and communicate with all modules. Something in the $2-300 range would have very limited capability and wouldn't be able to communicate with the BCM or instrument cluster.

It's unlikely that you'll be able to find the problem visually.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the same time
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
found where parking brake cable goes back page5-59

Are you able to check for power on the pink and red/white wires at the instrument cluster connector with the key on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I m in the house, I think I have to take the cluster out, Correct? Will it lean forward, or butt end out?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
im going to take laptop outside and power it up, and get ready to work. ( please be patient with me, Ive had a minor stroke, and 3 back surgeries. im fused bottom half of my back so ive had to make a bed out side the car because my back wont bend backward. ) Thank you so far for your help.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok,outside,looks like I have to remove dash, or is there an external plug?

The instrument cluster will need to be removed to get to the connector for testing.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok, have book
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok, so what ive done is found out dash has to come out, radio, bezel disconnect ventsm and try to lift dash arount clusterout. right.?book is not clear in what order.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
found out radio doesn't come out top of dash snaps in disconnect headlight and othr wiress
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
found outr wht and yel strip only retainers, good broke on end of ye,whole red connect comes out, will reconnect bat. and check voltage

Ok.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
pink 12.48 red /wh 11.48vdc. hope we don't have to do that again. inside car says 87 deg. oh there is another thin working don't n\know if reading lamp worked but don't. NEXT?

Can you check the voltage on the CCD + and - circuits with the key on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hold a sec. I had to come in and get water, What page in book would I be looking? any idea? CCD to ground, Hel its a didg meter Bechman 110 so it will read anything I can get too. Get water and go back out. at least I found out wifi works from half way to street, have to make sure firewall is on so people don't hack, back in a min or so.
Do I always have to wait for a new emai, or do you come back to this page automatically and you enter next box?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
cdd is aparantly a diug signal of 3 to 5v. is it on bac of cluster
?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
let me understand you, you want me to pull out the power train module? sitting next to pwr dis fuse box , located on the wheel well, and it will be marked CCD Pos and one ccd neg? how about a color? or are we just shootng from the hip right now?
is now when I have to go get the $200 machinge to check signals to cluster? (Getting over 92 in the sun.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
going bak in, think you went to lunch
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
re-read,the body control mod is what you want me to remove and test on What color wires, or is in the wiring diagram. if so what page is the diagram on?

I'm a full time tech and at work so I'm not always able to respond immediately.

We need to test the bus voltages at the cluster connector, where you're already testing. If you're unable to decipher the wiring diagram I can give the colors in about thirty minutes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok, now I understand you are a real tech. I was just with the Contact number saying you dropped me, then you came back. SO, ok can you give me color at the cluster for ccd? in the mean time I will try to find a diagram of the cluster, ( my eyes have sweat in them so hard to see now. Im in Charleston, SC and its hot. Thanks for not leaving me hanging, Gone to look for diagram

I'll open the question for others in hopes someone else will be able to help and respond more quickly.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
org maybe ground, will read on diode test.
blk/gr .08v vary
w/bk .23
v .3
blk ground
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well, it's almost 7 PM, guess I better close up the car, and get my tools picked up. Git'n dark. Nobody is going to call, they've gone home
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sprinkles08, are you on the east coast? Its 8:40 am and somewhat cool outside, and im ready, you handed me off to any Dodge mechanic. Waiting for next test.Thomas (Tom) Van Horn
Goose Creek, SC, (bedroom of Charleston and North Charleston)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In mean time, Im going to check see if I can drop the unit under the dash and swing it out. When I said I was reading Orange wire, I used the diode check mode on my Bechmann volt-ohm meter. it was swinging and a good reading couldn't be obtained. (that was yesterday) and it was flickering less < .o_ volts. making think it was another ground, but not solid ground. im also going to try to find that wire on the diagram, so far I have only found 2 wires, one being ground.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
11:15 Am called for help, " I will open for someone one east coast, " I said" you have my number, can you call me when ready?" "that will be additional $8.00 charge" " no I will sit here until someone emails me" This isn't a good way to run a business, I DONT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO EXCEPT SIT HERE. skipped breakfast waiting on email. now it's lunch time. The car is torn apart. Not happy.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
found wiring diagram of cluster, Missing is one wire, blk/grn. ?????? hunch you are going to tell me the remove modual under steering wheel. I saw that on youtube, will watch again, and wait for your email
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a O Scope. What voltage should I see on ccd buss? 0 to 5vdc? 3volt is a 0 and 5volts is a 1, thus binary codes are "on-off" in a time span. Somebody give me a direction to go, Sprinkles08 has left me high and dry? You tube refers to the $2000 test set and shows a different buss. keep in mine my radio is working, Is there a diagram of the Body Control Module?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
5:27 PM est, ok, I got the Body Control Module out. going to Ebay so see if they have one, junk yard here is closed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ordered rebult modual, not happy with this outfit's help. Im paying $200 and don't have an idea if that is the problem, because nobody picked up to help me. Thanks for nothing so far.