Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2011 Durango Citadel and the transfer case is in

Customer Question
Hi I have a 2011...
Hi I have a 2011 Durango Citadel and the transfer case is in Neutral - How do I get it back to AWD?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am hoping to do it myself. I have disconnected the battery.... Turned the key on (but not started the engine) put the transmission to N and then to park.... Started it and shifter to Drive
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: the 2011 has the key FOB in very good condition
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it all started when my Dog jumped int he car and the Neutral light was flashing. I looked at my manual and it said that meant it was in the process. I followed the instructions to set it to Neutral for towing but the manual says nothign about resetting
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/30/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 1 year ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Try this: Start the engine and place the transmission in neutral. Apply the parking brake and step on the regulsr brake pedal. Now use a pen to depress the neutral switch. Hold it in the pressed position for 5 seconds. This should take it out of neutral. Let me know how it goes.

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't see a Neutral button - it's just a light
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
again - its a 2011 Dodge Durango Citadel with HEMI and towing package
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
oh - Hi Chris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also tried removing the negative terminal from the battery for 10 minutes to see if it would reset
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if it is a button - it's stuck down
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I never noticed it as a button...(never tried to tow it)

Should be a recessed button next to the transfer case shift knob. Let me see if I can find a picture.

Chris

Yup that's it. Push that button that says neutral.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is no push - is it easy to reset if I take it apart?

Hmmm, then it must be stuck. I have never taken one apart to be honest with you, but hey give it a try. Just be prepared to needing to replace it just in case. Note that this will be a dealer only item. If you can free the button up, then you should be able to get it out of neutral following the procedure I sent. If not, then replace the switch.

Chris

At least it is easy to replace.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its easy to open - so I can manually push the contact inside and see if that works... so it's engine on - in neutral - hold the button for 5 seconds (and light change?) - then in to park and then drive?

: Start the engine and place the transmission in neutral. Apply the parking brake and step on the regulsr brake pedal. Now use a pen to depress the neutral switch. Hold it in the pressed position for 5 seconds. This should take it out of neutral. Let me know how it goes.

Good luck!

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok... I can do those steps - the neutral light then flashes, but it doesn't come out of N
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do I need to roll the truck?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i got it - pushing the button within manually witht he switch apart
Nice! Hey glad that worked! I suppose that you may want to eventually replace the switch.Glad I was able to help you out. Now would you kindly help me out by taking a moment to rate my service today? I would really appreciate it.Thank you!Chris

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply. I have not heard back after that.

Chris

Hello, just checking back to see if you would please kindly rwte my service from yesterday. If not, please let me know why so I can provide better service in the future.

Thank you!

Chris

Oh well, glad I was able to help.

Chris

Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman