Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I was driving my 2009 PT Cruiser 7/25/16 on a ghway going

Customer Question
I was driving my 2009...
I was driving my 2009 PT Cruiser 7/25/16 on a highway going highway speed. My car started to lose power and over heat.
I pulled off the road. The car died at this point and would not restart. We have been having problems with the radiator there was a small leak but the hose on the drivers side of the engine. We used Barrs Leak and that helped. I believe the problem could be the radiator, the cap or the thermostat. I need help
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
7/25/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 1 year ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

A coolant leak will not cause the engine to lose power and shut down and restart unless it was left unattended and lost all the coolant and seized the engine.

The most likely cause of the current issues is the water pump failing and causing the timing belt to fail, or the timing belt breaking which will cause it to overheat as the water pump no longer turns. The combination of loss of timing belt and water pump no matter which caused the other to fail will cause a loss of power, overheating as well as a no start condition

The first step is to remove the timing belt cover to verify the timing belt is either broken or loose and then go from there in repairing.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My car is a Chrysler

HI,

Yes, I got that since it is a PT Cruiser. My answer is based upon the fact that it is a PT Cruiser

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager