-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Dodge Dakota club cab. rear door will not open. 2005, yes

Customer Question

Dodge Dakota club cab. rear door will not open.
JA: What year is your Dakota?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

*****I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on*****

So the rear door will not open with the inside or outside handle? Do you feel resistance when trying to open as in the handle rod is attached to the latch or does it flop around? If it feels like it's connected but won't open with the inside or outside handle then you will need to try and remove the door panel on the inside and with a screwdriver pop open the latch so you can replace it..

Let me know,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brad, it is a 2005 Dakota extended cab, not a quad cab. there is only one handle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why do I feel like I just lost $32?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is anybody there?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

When you pull the handle do you feel any resistance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, I've removed the handle. and pulled on the cable end with pliers. Nothing
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

The rear doors only open when the front doors are open so they don't have a lock actuator so if you pulled the cable and the door still did not open then the latch has failed and it's going to be fun trying to remove the door panel to get it open but there is no easy way to get it open. You will need a screwdriver and a hammer to get the latch to open so you can replace it.. You have 2 latches, a top and bottom one. You will need to pull each cable to to see which latch is bad so you can replace it.. I have attached some pictures to help.

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is crap. I've got taht much
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I release the matchs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
latches
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

this is crap. I've got taht much

Are you serious?

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

The latches release by pulling the cables, if your pulling both cables and it will not open then the latch is bad and it will need to be replaced.

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Have a great day,

Brad