Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2005 DODGE CARAVAN 3.3 CAME IN WITH ASD FUSE AND ELETRICAL

Customer Question
2005 DODGE CARAVAN 3.3 CAME...
2005 DODGE CARAVAN 3.3 CAME IN WITH ASD FUSE BLOWN AND ELETRICAL SMELL OR BURNT. REPLACED FUSE AND WENT TO CRANK AND IT FAILED AS SOON AS STARTER ENGAGED, THE PCM WAS FRIED AND THE BURNT SMELL, REPLACED DARK BLUE /DARK GREEN WIRE TO COIL PACK AND THE TEST LIGHT STILL STAYS LIT WITH ONE END ON BATT HOT AND OTHER END ON BLUE/ DARK GREEN WIRE AND , DOES NOT FLASH ON THIS WIRE THATS WHY I REPLACED IT. ALSO REPLACED THE BURNT OUT PCM , WHY IS THE BLUE /DARK GREEN WIRE STILL STAYING ALL TIME GROUNS WITH NEW WIRE RUNNING ID START TO FINISH, NOW IT WILL CRANKS AND RUN BUT THE CYLINDER 1&4 ON COIL PACK ARE NOT FIRING, HAS A BRAND NEW COIL ON IT AND SAME THING
JA: Have you had any recent electrical work done on the car? Have you checked the circuit?
Customer: NO WORK BEFORE IT WAS TOWED IN FOR A NO START WITH BLOWN ASD FUSE
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: YES I ALREADY SAID WHAT ALL WE TRIED
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: NOT YET
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
7/7/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 1 year ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome! My name siCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Did you say that the PCM was replaced? Can I get the codes stored in the computer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
THE CODE WAS P2302

Thank you for that information. Was the PCM replaced?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I REPLACED THE PCM AFTER I REPLACED THE WHOLE WIRE FROM PLUG TO PLUG AT PCM TO THE COIL , FOR THE 1&4 COIL CONTROL ( BLUE/DARK GREEN WIRE )
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
BECAUSE THAT WIRE WAS KEEPING THE TEST LIGHT LIT WITH KEY ON AND CRANKING IT WAS NOT PULSING LIKE IT SHOULD

And this wire was replaced from the PCM to the ignition coil?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
INSTEAD OF LOOKING FOR WHERE IT MAY BE GROUNDED IN THE HARNESS I JUST BYPASSED IT AND PUT IN NEW WIRE OUTSIDE THE HARNESS , BUT IT STILL STAYING LIT SO IT HAS TO BE IN THE NEW PCM OR SOMETHING THAT CONTROLS THE PCM TO MAKE THE TRIGGER FOR COIL 1&4 PULSE
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
READ PREVIOUS

Even with the key on (Without cranking) it is grounded constantly? Is that correct?

Ok, then is has to be a bad new PCM

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK THAT IS WHAT I FIGURED , JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE IT COULDNT BE SOMEWHERE BEFORE PCM THAT TRIGGERS THE PCM TO TRIGGER THE COIL ON THE 3 WIRES TO COIL

NO sir. As long as you are testing it correctly, the PCM is at fault.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
CORRECTLY? TEST LIGHT ON HOT BATT POST TO BLUE/DARK GREEN AT 4PIN COIL PLUG WITH IT UNPLUG , KOEO SOLID LIT, CCRANKING SOLID LIT, OTHER TWO COIL DRIVER WIRES IN 4 PIN BOTH PULSE WITH CRANKING ,

Did you check it right at the PCM? I would

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
CHECKED AT PCM , BEFORE AND AFTER THE WIRE WAS CUT AND STILL SOLID LIT

Ok, then yes, it sounds to me like you have done the test correctly

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
WITH OLD PCM BEFORE AND WITH NEW PCM AFTER CUT WIRE , DIDNT WANT TO SHORT NEW PCM

Got it!

I would replace the PCM under warranty at this point.

I am glad I can help!

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician