Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a 2011 Ram 1500 BigHorn 5.7. It's not always starting

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2011 Ram 1500 BigHorn 5.7. It's not always starting when I have it in park and turn the key. Yet if I put it in neutral, it starts right away. Some say it's a trans sensor ..
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: It's in park when it does NOT start, and I have to put it in neutral to start it. Wheel lock feature ???
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I want the dealership to fix it but I want to know as much about the problem as possible before I take it in..
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nope that and the fact that I have over 161,000 miles on it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

Although it is possible that the trans range sensor has a problem it is also likely that the shifter cable is a little out of adjustment.

Engine starts must be possible with shift lever in PARK or NEUTRAL positions only.

The adjustment takes about 20 minutes, (although dealerships may charge one hour minimum) and if the trans range sensor is at fault, about 1.2 hours labor.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at the very least I am looking at 1 hour labor and the price max of the sensor which for some odd reason I can't seem to find online. I just want to know what I will be dealing with before I strap in and drop this off at the dealership please.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the cable adjustment shouldn't be more than an hour, (may be less, depending on the dealership) and at the most, the TRS.

The Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) is part of the solenoid module, which is mounted to the top of the valve body inside the transmission. A little over an hour labor and the part, (if needed) is around $85. Thanks