sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2000 dodge neon and it vibrates while idle, 158,200

Customer Question

I have a 2000 dodge neon and it vibrates while idle
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 158,200 2.0 L
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I changed radiator thermostat pcv value camshaft position sensor new ignitions coil and wires
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Sometimes when I turning the car will die and shut off
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** it seem to idle/run smooth besides the vibration or does it run rough? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It Runs rough only idled or at a light
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really need this situation fixed ASAP. Also when I turning sometimes the car will shut off and die
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Is your check engine light on? Does it seem to idle too low? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My heck engine light is off right now hit it goes on and off after I changed the cam position sensor and reset the battery the check engine light went off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has not came on since. I changed it this Afternion
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I think you may have a dirty throttle body. When the throttle body gets dirty it can cause low idle and the low idle causes vibrations. It can also cause hard starts and stalling. You can buy throttle body cleaner from parts store, spray onto a rag, then wipe out throttle bore and throttle plate. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would that also cause the car to die and shut off while driving ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also it's misfiring .. I forgot to mention that also
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Does it misfire both at idle and while driving down the road?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yes the throttle body would cause the car to shut off while driving "most likely when foot is off the gas" and it wouldn't cause a misfire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It misfired only when idle or at a light
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is when the shaking starts
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Just because it is shaking doesn't mean it is misfiring. Start by cleaning the throttle body to see if that helps. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I clean the throttle body do I have to unscrew anything and take it out or what. I'm new to this and just want make sure I do this right.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You will need to remove the rubber intake boot from the throttle body but that is it. Then spray cleaner onto rag and wipe out. If it was a misfire then you would most likely feel misfire while driving at higher speeds and would have misfire codes or flashing check engine light. Since none of that is happening it doesn't sound like a misfire to me. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the check engine has been on for a while it just finally went off after I replaced the cam position sensor. I also went to auto zone and got a diagnosis and he codes came back as misfiring from cylinders What kind of cleaner do I need to use to clean the throttle body
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

They have cleaner specifically for throttle body at parts store. Have spark plugs been replaced recently? Does check engine light ever flash while driving?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes it flashed while driving by it hasn't done since I changed a couple parts. I changed the spark plugs like 2-3 weeks ago. I replaced them twice. I also replaced the ignition coil and the ignition wires
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I think the plugs/wires took care of your misfire and now you are just dealing with a dirty throttle body. Let me know how cleaning throttle body goes, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would you know if it is misfiring
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But why would the diagnosis give me the codes stating its misfiring
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The misfire code may have been there from when you replaced plugs/wires. If you were getting a misfire next thing I'd check is injectors. But to know for sure if you were getting a misfire you would want to wait until codes came back or connect vehicle to a scan tool capable of checking live misfire data.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am getting a full diagnosis tomorrow but I am going to clean throttle body tomorrow also what would I check with injectors don't know what they are or what to do or check
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Injectors aren't easy to check. You need to pull the fuel rail and crank engine over while watching spray pattern to make sure they all look the same. Here are replacement instructions for injectors if it is something you want to tackle.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfm9llah7cd93ws/injrs.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will clean the throttle body tomorrow and then get back to you
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, I'll talk to you then. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car idles at 1000x and vibrates would this change your stance when u told me u think u throttle body is dirty
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yes, idle doesn't sound low. Is idle steady or irratic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what u mean by irrational whe. Idle or stopped it vibrates shakes a few times u know
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Is idle going up/down or staying steady at 1000?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Up and down
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But right now it's idling steady
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Is it still vibrating? You said there was a full diagnostic being done on it today, when is that being done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was done but the machine couldn't readying codes because the check engine light doesn't come on when the engine is on. So I'm stuck right now trying to figure this out
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Does engine run rough or does it just vibrate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Runs rough
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like I notic wheniopen the hood while engine is running I serif shaking which might have to do with the vibration. People also told me it could be motor mounts but in trying to get this fixed . It's frustrating
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Ya, it sounds like motor mounts but that wouldn't cause it to run rough. It doesn't sound like we are getting anywhere, I'll open question back up to see if someone else has some ideas. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. Any help greatly appreciated now would u suggest I fix motor mounts or stand pat for now until ?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do my 2000 dodge neon vibrates when idled or at a stop light and my acceleration been lagging sometimes taking a minute to cooperate.

Are any fault codes currently setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by faulty codes. At the moment the only codes I got was brake light switch I changed that the check engine light is now off. I will be changing my motor mounts tomorrow to see if that helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also do you know what fuse means it says fuse in the dashboard

Fault codes set when a module sees a problem in a monitored component.

The no fuse message is displayed when there is no power on the IOD circuit, usually the IOD fuse is blown, but once in a while it is caused by the dome lamp bulb being blown.

Has the engine light been on since the last time the battery was disconnected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has only been on when the engine off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I reset the battery today because I had to replace my brake light switch so I was told when ever you do electrical work you have to reset the battery after.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fuse notification on the dashboard has to do with the light in the car cuz right now there no bulb in it because when I had a bulb in it the problem I had was the light wouldn't shut off it would stay on.

The engine light doesn't come on with the engine running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the engine is off but the key is in the on position it's on but as soon as I turn on the engine it's not on.

Were the plugs and wires replaced at exactly the same time?

Did replacing them have an effect on the way it runs?
How long have you owned the vehicle?
Was the condition always present?
Are there any abnormal engine noises?
What was the condition of the spark plugs when removed?
Have you taken a fuel sample?

Does engine temperature have an effect on the way it runs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes
2. Yeah it seemed different
3. Over a month
4 condition was decent I had made some repairs. It's a project but it seems almost finished
5 abnormal noises such as what ?
6. The condition was burnt on the bot***** *****ke black
7. I don't know how to take a fuel sample or what that is
8. I am not sure haven't really noticed of thought about that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
car rolls sometimes after braking and poor accelerations after 25 MPH. How can I fix it also please help

Have you checked the condition of the new plugs now after running? If the old ones were black then it's most likely running rich.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you say plugs do u mean the spark plugs if so I have changed the spark plugs more then 2x already
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean running rich ?

Why were the plugs replaced multiple times?
What part number is ***** used?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New question I did a compression test on my cylinders yesterday now all three plugs showing 175 the 3rd one is only showing 50 so it basically has no power which they told me why it's misfiring and shutting off . They said the only way to fix that is take the engine out and put a new one it. Is there a way fix it without removing the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The plugs were replaced multiple times and someone told us there was oil in the spark plug thing. And then I received a code so I removed it and replaced the ignition coil wires and spark plugs
You most likely have valve leakage. A leakdown test can be done to see where compression is being lost, it's possible that you could get by with replacing the cylinder head.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Damn that part alone cost much.

You may be able to find a good used head for less than a reman.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But is it hard to put on ? The labor would be the issue

Any repair to the engine is going to be labor intensive. Replacing the head will be around 6 hours of labor, replacing the engine would be around 10.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wouldn't it make sense just to replace the engine then.

If that's the way you'd rather go. It's going to be around double the money to do so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I received 2 code
P300
P0303
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can u tell me how to fix these issues and are there easy fixes financially ?

What needs to be done is a leakdown test to determine where compression is being lost and then you can weigh whether to replace the engine, the head, or the vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My brake light is on in dash does this mean I have to bleed the brakes?

The site does ask that a separate question page be opened for unrelated issues.

If the brake light is on it could be low fluid, the emergency brake may be on, or it could be on because of an ABS issue.