Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Very hard to start. running very rough. smoke and unburned

Customer Question
very hard to start. running...
very hard to start. running very rough. white smoke and unburned fuel in the tailpipe. I have tested five of the eight plugs and they have spark.Disconnected the fuel line, and there is fuel to the fuel rail. Ran fine until this happened on starting about a week ago.
JA: How has your mileage been lately? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: I only drive it a couple times a month. Haven't noticed anything unusual until it died, and then wouldn't start.
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 1999
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I disconnected the fuel line to test for gas. Tested some of the plugs for spark. Since I have both, I'm looking for the nest thing to try.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not really. It ran fine until it didn;t.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/21/2016
Dodge Mechanic: xsvector, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
xsvector
xsvector, Auto Mechanic

any codes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I connected the code reader, but it didn't read. I can try it again.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Plugged in the code reader. turned on the ignition. No display.

have you checked the fuses?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not yet. Which ones would be the culprits?

generally cigarette lighter or horn are the culprit .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll check them but the lighter and horn are still working

give me a little bit and ill pull up schematics

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, the diag/amp fuse is blown. I can read codes now.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
0 codes

was the engine light on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

what model and motor size is this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1999 Ram Van 1500 5.2L

it sounds like an injector is dumping fuel or a throttle body issue all your symptoms point to it running rich.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just checked to oil and it smells like gas

sounds like an injector has failed or the throttle body

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
tested injectors for continuity. all are the same.

ohmmeter across the injector electrical terminals. Resistance reading should be approximately 12 ohms ±1.2 ohms at 20°C (68°F)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Reading 12 ohms on all injectors.

and this is dumping fuel and has no pending , history or active codes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
correct. Check engine light never came on. No codes on the reader. It would be hard to keep running long enough to get codes. Is it an injector stuck open? Would that throw some sort of combustion code?

do you have a fuel pressure tester? if it does not hold fuel pressure with the key off a injector is bleeding down

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have one. I could go get one, unless there's a more likely cause. If it's a throttle body issue would one of the sensors throw a code?

not if you cant keep it runnin g...sounds like injectors to me

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can try to trace it down by pulling the plugs, or I can get a full set for $150 and just replace them all.

Might be smarter just to do them all

xsvector
xsvector
xsvector, Auto Mechanic