Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Bought starter and new relay. Nothing no click nothing

Customer Question
conections are good. I short...
Bought starter and new relay. Nothing no click nothing conections are good. I short cut to starter works great but car will not run.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 150,00. Starts up perfectly and runs great excellent gas mileage. Just let it sit for a week . i did find a coat hanger next to the door like someone tried to steal it. A wire was attached to a fuse.
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2005 sxt
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Starter relay bypassed ignition. Starter turns engine nice. But like i text wont run.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Think someone tried to steal it. Coat hanger next to door. Plus a wire attached to ignition fuse i pulled out and through away.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
6/21/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Which model is your vehicle? All that came through was SXT- the SXT trim level was available on the Neon, Stratus, Caravan, and Magnum in 2005 so I don't want to guess and give bad advice.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Caravan

Ok. First check fuse #9 in the under hood fuse box. Then check the starter motor relay- also in the under hood fuse box- for 12 volts at pin 30.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok will do after work 4pm.pin 30 relay.fuse 9. I did xheck all the fuses were good.

Also, check for 12 volts at the large (usually red) wire to the starter.

Let me know if you need any additional help with this..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pin 30 not getting anything
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Scratch that pin 30 gets 12v. Im thinking has something to do with my key. It has something in it to keep car running amagnet or some thing

Your question dropped to my timed out list for lack of response.

So 12 volts at the pin 30 is a good sign. Now, when you turn the key to the crank position it should send 12 volts to pin 85 of the relay which then sends 12 volts and 40 amps to pin 87 and down to the starter.

Have you checked for 12 volts on the red wire at the starter and then 12volts with the key in the crank position on the yellow with gray wire at the starter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
85 yes 87 no

It sounds like your relay is dead. If you have power at 30 and 85 but it doesn't send power to 87 then the relay is bad.

Try swapping it with another relay- sometimes a headlight or foglight relay is the same. Swap it out, see if it starts, and if it does then you just need a new relay.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Bought new relay days ago. Didnot work. Also im changing relays still no 12v at87
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can rig the relay to crank, the car cranks but no start.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry did u mean 87a or just plain 87.
Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician