Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1995 dodge stealth SOHC , 84k miles . problem is -

Customer Question

I have a 1995 dodge stealth SOHC , 84k miles . problem is - when OD is engaged , car will go 1st gear and accelerate normally , when it should go in to 2nd gear , rpms shoot up and acts like its in neutral. When overdrive is off, the car will go through gears 1 to 2 to 3 , just at the higher rpms . researching online , i replaced the TCM , made sure I had the same part number , but the problem remained. In "D" it did exactly what it had been doing, but in "2" , still with OD engaged , it went , 1st,2nd, 3rd, 4th, to @ 55-60 mph,. I read that the TCM may need to be reprogrammed , any suggestions or anything else I should be looking at ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I would start with scanning the computer system to see what the fault codes are that should be setting if the problem is an electronic control concern. You will need a fully compatible Dodge scan tool to retrieve these code. If you can do this and post back with the results I will see If I can help you determine the cause.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i took it to autozone and they ran the obd,, it read error , the check engine light is not on
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean it read Error?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the display screen on his hand held obd diagnostic tool said "error". he got another device, plugged it in and it said "error" also
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Its likely because he was using a code reader and a code reader will not work on your 1995 which is OBD I. To retrieve transmission fault codes on your Stealth you are going to need Dodge compatible full scan tool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i agree , his tool was probably obd2 . i'm trying to find who has correct tool
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Most automotive shops have access to the type of scanner you will need.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
took it over to advance auto , the diagnostic test showed no codes .
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Well if you 100% sure there are no transmission fault codes then in most cases that means the problem is internal with the transmission.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, before i take it over and let them pull transmission apart , is there any thing else ie: speed sensor , shift solenoid that could be causing this ? any final thoughts ? thank you
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

In most cases if you have a shift solenoid and or VSS problem the computer system will set and store a fault code. Before you have it torn down the transmission shop should check for codes as well.