HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

03 PT Crusier has no A/C. When switched on, the compressor

Customer Question

03 PT Crusier has no A/C. When switched on, the compressor does not turn on. In addition, the cooling fan doesn't turn on either. The fan DOES come on when the engine gets warm however. I have already attempted to look at fuses which are all good and have also attempted to cross the low pressure switch (using a paperclip ) to see if the compressor would cycle. The compressor and fan still did not engage. Just looking for the next step to try.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, did you have power at the low pressure switch when you went to jump it? Is there freon in the system? Have you checked the ac clutch relay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't test for power.. Test with voltmeter? There is freon in the system as it was filled at summer start. Where is the clutch relay ?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Yes with a meter. Should have battery voltage at pressure switch, no power, check ac relay in fuse panel under hood, it should be labeled. Should have 2 power sources at relay for it to work, see if you hear it click when installed with key on or engine running. If two power sources, jump across relay switch side, see if compressor comes on. if so, swap out relay and retest

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Here is the relay location

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK finally got the AC fan cutting on as well as the compressor. Still no cold air and compressor seems to cycle on and off fairly quickly. Thinking perhaps the fill up one of the drivers did at the beginning of the season may not have gotten done properly. Going to run to Walmart real quick and get a can of Freon, what should I be looking for if I fill it?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like it is low on freon, look for evidence of oil residue on the ac lines, at the compressor/green dye. If you dont see any signs of a leak under the hood, then it may be a leak at the evaporator core, look at the ac drain at the firewall for dye/

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went and brought refrigerant a few minutes ago. On the way there and back, the compressor and fan stopped working again. Had to let the car set and cool down ...then after the car was cool, was able to get the compressor and fan to come on enough for me to start adding coolant. Followed the gauge directions and the coolant appeared to be very low. Once I started adding coolant to the low side, the compressor stayed on during the add. I was able to add the whole bottle and was just getting into the blue (where it was supposed to be). The car got to operating temp again and once again, the fan and compressor stopped. It had stated to blow cool air and the cool line felt cold to the touch until it stopped. So, it looks like even with the correct amount of r134a the whole system stops when the car gets to normal operating temp. What now?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Either it is leaking out faster as you get the compressor running which could be a leak at the compressor front shaft seal or the coil is overheating on the compressor.need to verify if you are loosing power and ground to the compressor coil and if where it is loosing freon. If you keep loosing freon it will not keep the compressor on unless the low pressure switch is jumped all the time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would this account for the system working again when the car is cool? If I put a gauge on it tomorrow morning and the pressure is still there...that would say that there isnt a leak....if there is still pressure, what exactly to I do to test the next step?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Test the circuit for power and ground to the compressor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i do that?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

check for power and ground o the compressor coil using a voltmeter.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Do you need more help or information?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need more help?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, the question remains open until it is rated, if I was helpful please leave a positive rating