Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan sport and my sc clutch won't kick

Customer Question

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan sport and my sc clutch won't kick on
JA: How many miles on the car? Is it the original transmission?
Customer: New transmission and it only has 3508 miles on the new transmission and it's a new transmission not a rebuilt transmission cost on those four grand
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My air compressor clutch will not engage and turn on the fans are going inside the car but the clutch will not turn on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes hopefully with out buying a new one I'm wanting to trade the car in in something different with in the next two months if I can get all the little things fixed on it like this issue and couple other little minor issues it has and replace some of the interior things that would get me the max trade in that I need to get out of since in a recently single mother of 3 who newly is self employeed with in the past six months and have been a stagnant home mother for eight years and I had previously been with my husband for 17 years I am only 32 years old and had never seen myself being a single mother
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just tapping on it lightly
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So the most common cause for the AC compressor to not come on is it being low on freon. Is it possible for you to borrow some AC gauges? If not the other thing you can do is buy a can of r134 from a parts store and they will usually help you put it in.I'm sorry to hear you have been having problems. But I'm sure we will be able to fix this together. The only thing is it may take some tools. But if your like my mom was, she started doing everything on her own including changing motors in her car when needed after my dad left. You sound very capable in doing this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The r 134a
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Purchased with this gage and adapter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Inside the adaptor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Backside if adaptor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Us thistle correct valve to connect this Adaptor to if I'm following the directions on the hose of the gage and adaptor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Directions in the can
that should work just fine. If the system is completely empty it may take two of them. Does your van have rear air?I have to check to make sure but the valve that it connects to should be up near the fire wall on a silver tube. It should have a blue cap on it. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll look it up for sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Picture of one of the valves for the Ac lines this one is in the front by the radiator picture (1a)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another view (1b)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The other valve behind the air intake I believe it's called we will call this pic (2a)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
front and rear air along with controls
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Diagram under the hood unsure as to if it's helpful to you or not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another one that's next to the one I just sent previously
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sticker located On the fuse box
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sticker located on the driver door
Wow. nice finds. It should be the one by the alternator. In pic 1a and b. But the good news is the cans valve will only fit on one. :-) the right one at that.
Hook the can up and open the valve on it and start the car and turn AC on.Let me know what happens
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure which valve in the pictures us the low pressure line I believe the the one by the radiator in pictures 1a and 1b are high pressure lines and pictures in 2a and 2b are hopefully the low pressure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I connect it with the vehicle off and then start it because when I tried to connect it to the one in pictures one day and one B that vehicle was on but the AC was also on and that gauge was up in the 150s in the red what does that mean is it the wrong route because I kind of had to push it on I just figured it was a tight fitor is it the wrong valve because I couldn't get it on the one in the back which is pictures today and to be
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not today and to be sorry about that auto correct got me I ment pictures 2a and 2b
Ya I believe the back one is the high side. You'll never get it to go on the high side becouse it's a bigger valve. It will only go on the low side. But may push a little hard. What was the reading with the car on AC on? And did the clutch ever start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's was close to 150-155 and not that I could tell for it to kick on I don't exactly know what to listen for though and I have the car running in the AC on when I connected to the valve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does having the engine running when I connect it make a difference and having the Ac on along with the engine when I connect it doesn't make a difference
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
another question do you know where I could get a PDF of a detailed manual which would have the motor parts and all of the parts labeled so that I would know generally where to locate which part or in a roundabout area
Let me check on the pdf. Also let me check something on the AC
If it is at 150 it should at least kick on. Let me see if I can get the wiring diagram. But I have to run somewhere really quick and I'll be back in an hr and a half. Is that ok?
I'm sorry bout this.
Have you checked the fuse or relay for the compressor?
Hi miss, how are you today?
I was just curious if you could or already checked the AC compressor fuse?
If you are not sure where the fuse or relay is, it's not a problem either, just let me know and I'll walk you thru finding it.Thanks
Sonny
Do you still want help?