Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 whenever the vehicle makes it

Customer Question
to 3500 RPMs it will...
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 whenever the vehicle makes it to 3500 RPMs it will either work or just lose all power until I let off gas and it's below 3500 RPMs. What could cause this
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It will either jerk or lose power at 3500 rpms.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Well depends on what it is. I have already had the cam shaft and crank shaft sensors changed. Still give a code for cam shaft sensor.
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: Don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
6/1/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is***** engine do you have? Do you know the actual code number? Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure of actual code. Engine is the 4.7
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know the first time it happened I was driving down the road doing about 70 and the vehicle started jerking. So I went to a mechanic and he said it was probably the crankshaft sensor that was the code it was sending. He change the crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor because he said it's common to do both at the same time. After changing it the code came right back on instantly. This was last week. Now after driving it I have noticed any time I hit 3500 RPMs the vehicle either works or loses power until I let off the gas and it drops below 3500 RPMs check engine light is still on
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 1 year ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Good evening..

I see the previous expert opened up the question, so let me see if I can help.

Can you cycle the key 3 times to the On position and tell me what codes show up in the odometer? I'd really like to know the actual P code to get an idea of what's going on.. Was the sensor a new OEM sensor or a aftermarket one from Napa?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I bought the part from Advanced Auto
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
P0016 p0456 p0305
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now after resetting it and then starting the engine the p0016 instantly comes on

Thanks for the reply!!

Ok the P0016 is CAM/CRANK difference and a bad sensor or jumped timing can cause it.. Do you hear any noises in the timing cover area? Has any timing chain work been done? Also the P0456 is a Small Evap leak and the P0305 is a cylinder #5 misfire, but the issues your experiencing it due to the P0016 when is what we need to repair.. The diagnostic test that goes with the P0016 code will require you to backprobe the camshaft and crankshaft sensors to watch the patten with a scope so if you don't have any of that test equipment then your only option is to try a new camshaft sensor and I would advise to use a OEM sensor because I have had ton's of bad aftermarket sensors right out of the box.. If a new camshaft sensor doesn't fix it then you will need to remove the timing cover to inspect to see if it's jumped timing..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't hear any noises. But if it jumped timing wouldn't it run bad more than just when it hits 3500 RPMs?

If you don't hear any noises or you haven't done any timing work recently then it's likely a bad camshaft sensor...

Have a great day,

Brad

I see you haven't rated yet which means I have not been credited for helping. Don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my assistance..

Thank you and have a great day,

Brad

-Brad-
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech