Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2004 Dodge Dakota 4.7L V8 4x4- sometimes it will not shift

Customer Question

2004 Dodge Dakota 4.7L V8 4x4- sometimes it will not shift out of first gear.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: RPM goes up (still in 1st gear) then it sounds like the Fan noise goes way up. play the the gas pedal and it finally shifts. Happens sporadically.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: perhaps.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 18 years and I will do my best to help.

Since you have the 4.7 engine then you have a 45RFE transmission which is fully electronic and since you having shifting issues then there is mist likely codes in the TCM which I will need to see what's going on... You will need a scantool to communicate with the TCM retrieve the codes, once you get them post them here so I can help you get it fixed..

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No codes were returned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MIL did indicate a misfire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, I'm talking about the scan on the OBD II port. Is that correct?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

A cheap code reader will not work, it will only retrieve OBDII information such as misfires, O2 sensors, etc.. You will need a scantool to communicate with the TCM to retrieve the codes.. Post them here when you have them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brad,
There were no codes reported.
The Dodge dealer reported no codes on his scanner.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

What is your VIN number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1D7HG48N04S525260