Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

My 2006 Sprinter 2500 isn't cooling. However, red LED next

Customer Question
Hi Robert,My 2006 Sprinter 2500...
Hi Robert,My 2006 Sprinter 2500 isn`t cooling. However, red LED next to snowflake on dash comes on.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
5/31/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

As a very first check make sure the coolant level is correct / up to the mark on the tank, then I'd first check that the radiator cooling fan is coming on as it should and if thats OK then replace the thermostat in the engine.

Whilst the thermostat is being replaced you might as well also reverse flush the cooling circuit (remove top hose to rad and use a hosepipe to push water into the engine until you get clear water out of the radiator hose) and top up with 30-50% fresh antifreeze. Also check that the small diameter bleed hoses that run from the top of the radiator and the top of the engine aren't blocked as this allow the air to vent back to the header tank automatically.

If you still have a problem then check that the water pump impeller / turbine isn't spinning on its shaft. You should be able to achieve this by removing the bottom hose from the engine and use a screwdriver or similar to feel for the water pump impeller blades, whilst your assistant turns the engine over by hand.

If you can stop the impeller with slight pressure from the screwdriver the pump needs replacing.

Also its possible the belt is slipping so its worth replacing its especially if the rubber ribs are cracked or it looks shiny on flat side of the belt - while its off check that the tensioner and other pulleys all spin freely the exception to this is the AC pump ( if fitted)

I'd also suggest ensuring that you've got all the air out of the system as this sort of episode can leave pockets of air trapped and prevent the coolant from circulating properly.

So check that the small hoses that run from the top of the engine and radiator that run back to the header / expansion tank are free flowing and not blocked

If these are OK then remove the tank pressure cap and run the engine from cold with the heater set to full hot

As the engine starts to warm, squeeze the large hoses running to the radiator to help displace any air - all the time keeping an eye on the level in the header tank, making sure it doesn't drop below the minimum and open any bleed screws built into the top cooling hoses - closing them off as soon as they start to gush water

Once the engine is up to temperature the tank should be quite full. Switch the engine off and leave it to cool

Then top up to the mark once its all cold and replace the cap

Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 1 year ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

It appears that you requested me...

Correct me if I'm wrong but appears that the previous expert misunderstood your question. He assumed that you are having a cooling system issue. From your question it appears that your "A/C System" is not cooling properly..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Robert, you are correct. The engine cooling system is fine. It's the A/C (comfort cooling) that I'm asking about.

Can you tell if the a/c compressor is coming on when you turn on the a/c?

Have you had the a/c system evacuated and recharged yet? Has it been leak tested?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, the compressor is not kicking in.
It only has 150K kilometers on it so the system has not ever been evacuated and recharged.

Since the compressor is not engaging, we need to test for refrigerant in the system. Remove the cap on the high side port near the battery, use a pocket screwdriver to press the schrader valve. If you have a large shot of pressure there should be enough refrigerant to turn the compressor on. If no or little pressure, you have a leak and it will need to be repaired before evacuating and recharging the system.

Common leak areas are rubber hoses, mating points for the lines, and the condenser. Sometimes the radiator electric fan vibrates and rubs through the condenser causing a leak. If this is the case, the condenser will need to be replaced. I also have had a compressor or two fail in the past... you may need an R134 leak detector to find any leaks...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Robert,Is there anything electrical that I can check on this?
I had some major tranny work done in January. At the time a 200A fuse near the battery had blown preventing battery charging. I also found that the radio fuse had gone and a month ago you and I determined that the heater control fuse had gone causing me to have uncontrollable heat.
So I'm wondering if there's anything that I can check electrically if I have high pressure as you mentioned above.

Before we run electrical checks we need to make sure that there is regrigerant in the system. Some of the electrical checks are done assuming that the system has a full charge...

Have you tested to see if there is pressure in there?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I haven't. I will check for high pressure tomorrow.

Once you post the result, I will let you know what needs to be done next...

Thank you,

Robert

Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master