Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

It won't go into gears with clutch fully depressed JA:

Customer Question
It won't go into gears...
It won't go into gears with clutch fully depressed
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It has not been getting into gears for nearly a week. Sticking at times. Today been worse. I have had to turn off engine in the middle of the road to start the car in gear 1 as nothing else was working
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible get my husband to take a look but if not then an expert really
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: No other problems
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
5/23/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Mechanic

Hi there,

Does it grind when you try to put it into gear with the engine running?

Also, what's the year and model of the car?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Mike it's a dodge calibre and a 2007 model.
Yes it's grinding when it does go into gear. However at times it's not going in gear at all unless engine is off which is proving dangerous on the road if I am charging gears up and it's gets stuck somewhere inbetween

Ok

This actually sounds like the clutch is failing or has failed. It is possible there is an issue with the slave cylinder or the clutch master cylinder, but usually if that's the case the clutch pedal won't want to return up after it's pushed down. Normally you can put the car into gear with the engine off even with a bad clutch, and it may jump or just sit there and not move. This is looking or at least sounding like it's going to need a clutch replacement to me.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Hello again,

I was wondering if you have this resolved or need further assistance?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Mechanic