Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2006 dodge Dakota v8 4.7 will crank but will not start. It

Customer Question
is getting gas. When you...
2006 dodge Dakota v8 4.7 will crank but will not start. It is getting gas. When you crank it, it almost wants to start and smoke come out of pipe.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
5/22/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Check for any fouled out spark plugs.If any are fouled out and wet with fuel this will cause this issue here and the spark plugs would need removed and cleaned and dried or removed and replaced to correct this issue.I have seen the engine flood out before due to a faulty coolant temp sensor signal or faulty throttle position sensor.If you do find them wet with fuel and if you have spark then I would check into these as the cause here needing replaced/corrected. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Replaced plugs and no luck. Old plugs we soaked with gas due to many attempts to start
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Really need to know the next step
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You are the least responsive of all the service i have had so far with just answer
I apologize for the delay as I was off line when you responded. Remove the spark plugs,disable spark and fuel injector signals by disconnecting ignition coils and injectors.Crank over the engine to blow out any fuel in the cylinders.Then clean and dry the spark plugs and reinstall them,then plug in the coils and injectors and see if it starts then.If it does not let me know if you have a test light or multi meter for testing or if you have already tested for spark. Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is not the spark plugs. Replaced them with new ones and still have the issue. Could it be a cam or crank position sensor. I do not think we are getting spark
One of the most common sensor to cause a no spark issue is usually the crank sensor itself.It is located at the right passenger rear of the engine as shown below.Usually this sensor is around $75 or less in some cases and can be bought at a parts store or dealer parts department.https://www.dropbox.com/s/jacdfnk813u4xsk/cs-05-23.gif?dl=0 In some cases this sensor will set a fault code for itself and in allot or most other cases it will not which can make it difficult to diagnose.You can usually connect a scan tool to your model and observe the engine rpm signal on the scan tools data list while cranking over the engine.If there is no rpm signal on the scan tools data list this usually indicates this sensor at fault needing replaced. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay thank you
Your welcome. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time. Thanks Pete
Pete, Auto Service Technician