Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have an 05' Dodge Stratus 2.4L. Intermittently it will

Customer Question

I have an 05' Dodge Stratus 2.4L. Intermittently it will start bucking when accelerating. Im aware it could be a multitude of things causing this, but would like some professional help before aimlessly changing parts. My name is Jon.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jon and welcome to just answer. I have worked on these engines for many years and the # ***** cause of this is that the inside of the spark plug boot gets carbon tracks on it and can cause the spark to travel on the outside of the spark plug to ground and not through the spark plug. That causes missing, back firing, hesitation, etc. What I recommend doing is to remove all 4 spark plugs and look on the spark plug insulator for signs of black marks or black lines. If you see that, then replace the spark plugs and the spark plug wires. I am pretty confident that will fix this bucking.

The only other thing it may be is a fuel pump failing, but that is not nearly as common as what I just mentioned.

I hope this helps, and if so, please take a minute to rate my service today so I can get credited for helping you.

I can still help you even after you rate me if you have further questions.

Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jon, just checking back to see if you received my answer. let me know if you did or did not. I can always send it again.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Please note: If I have been at all helpful, please help me and rate using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jon, just checking back to see if you received my answer. let me know if you did or did not. I can always send it again.Please note: If I have been at all helpful, please help me and rate using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!