sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My 06 ram will not start it seems to loose power at the

Customer Question

My 06 ram will not start it seems to loose power at the switch terminal wire when ignition is in start position and it is actually trying to turn something on like the starter I have tried this from both the coonecton at the starter and at the firewall harness. 11.5 volts in the start position when wire is not attached to starter 0 volts when attached to well grounded starter and in start position
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 year ago.
Hi , My Name is ​CHAD I WILL TRY TO ASSIST YOU Can you send me the VIN# ***** .Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
02612060040114
THERE SHOULD BE 17 DIGIT VIN# ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3d7ks19dx6g211229
1- put your voltmeter on battery terminals , make sure terminals are tight ,negative & positive. have somebody help u , while u trying to start key hel in start postion at that moment what is the voltage does it drop.2- Check all fuses ,inside cabin and inside the engine compartment3-check for loose ground or power on the starter and try to pull on the battery cable wire going to start while somebody in car trying to start it4- If all the above is good , take steering wheel cover off and follow the ignition wire see if they r touching anywhere underdash , no burn marks ?5- If you do have a capable jeep scanner, u can try reading any codes stored in the Antitheft module.if u do get codes if endup scanning it, let me know what they are we can investigate further .
also can u tell me what is the red led security light on dash doin, is flickering, steady on , or off when u have key in switch and in on or start postion ?
It should be off when u trying to start or key in on postion.
Hope that helps you . ​A 5 star positive rating is appreciated . The post will stay open even after you rate me so u can come back for any follow up questions on the same issue. Thank You.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!Do you still need help?