Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a similar issue, was Kim's issue ever resolved?

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Can you describe the fault that is occuring with your model here? Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
new alt., new battery, both double checked by autozone, fuses checked, battery wont hold a charge.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Have you had a draw/battery drain test done at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a 2004 stratus 2.7 l. I charge the battery to full, start the car, and watch the voltage slowly decrease until the engine will no longer operate.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,it sounds like the alternator is not charging in your model.When the alternator was tested to see if it charges was it in the vehicle or out of the vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
out of the vehicle, did not trust to drive a couple of miles. Since the vehicle starts, I hope to rule out the fusible link.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a test light or multi meter to test electrical at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
multimeter
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,at the large red wire do you have battery voltage at the alternator key on or off?At or near 12 volts dc?If this is o.k. test the smaller orange wire for voltage with the engine running at the alternator.If no voltage check fuse 25 in the power distribution center and fuse 14 for any issues.If these are o.k. and you have no power let me know.If you have power at both then the issue is in the PCM (engine and transmission computer) itself as it controls the charge output to the alternator.Either the pcm at fault or the wiring is broken leading from the alternator to the pcm.Here is a diagram of your charging system to test/check the signals.https://www.dropbox.com/s/14sexzlev3nuzml/ch-05-22.gif?dl=0 If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no smaller orange wire, just brown with white stripe and green...to PCM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 wires-one brown with white stripe and the other green
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Can you verify the engine liter in this model here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2.7 liter DOHC.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Do you have voltage on any of these smaller wires with the key on or engine running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with the key on, the green wire at the PCM (from the alternator) does not appear to have voltage, but is continuous. The brown with white striped is much harder to trace.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,there should be two wires at the alternator itself that have power.The large one leading to the starter and the smaller one that is an ignition fed wire.If you have both of these power signals (on two separate wires like this) and the wiring is o.k. then the PCM itself needs replaced. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know this is somewhat of a headache but I gave up a fishing trip to trouble shoot this mess and appreciate your assistance.I have power at the starter cable, continuity between the two wires from the alternator and PCM. So, now my alternative is to replace the PCM, and before that, I would like to know if it as simple as a trip to the local auto salvage (or ebay) or is it more complicated, based upon 2004 Dodge Stratus, 2.7 liter.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
It is more complicated unfortunately.You can either buy a new one from a dealer or local parts store (the best option here) or a used one from a salvage yard or ebay or a place like http://www.car-part.com.But after it is installed it has to be programmed to your model by a dealer or the vehicle will not start and run at all.The dealer has to do this as they need access to factory programming for this procedure here.They will usually charge anywhere from a half hour to an hours labor to do this. Thanks Pete