Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Dodge ram: i have a dodge 3500 cummins truck . i was driving

Customer Question
i have a dodge 3500...
i have a dodge 3500 cummins truck . i was driving and it started shutting down like it was running out of fuel. i would let it sit for just a second then i could drive for about 200 yards then it would die again.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
5/19/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 1 year ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Hello and welcome to just answer. That is a classic example of a fuel delivery problem. You said you looked at the filter, did you replace it? Chris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i replaced it 2 weeks ago so when i looked at it today it was still good
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you still there
Ok I see. Then you have a lift pump that is failing. Do you know if your truck still has the stock plastic lift pump mounted to the back of the fuel filter or has it been upgraded to the in tank style? Chris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i dont know how do i check
Look at the area behind the fuel filter and see if there is a black cylindrical plastic pump attached to the filter itself. let me know. Chris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if it atatchs to the back of the housing where the fuel inlet is then no , but there is something on the font of the housing that has two wires hooked to it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is a lift pump basicaly a fuel pump
Ok, then you have the in tank style. That pump is probably failing or there is a restriction in the pick up screen in the tank. You can test it by removing the supply line going into the injection pump. Place it into a clean container and then "bump" the starter with the key and leave the key on. The fuel should flow from the hose and into the container
If the pump does not produce about 46 ML in 10 seconds, then it will need to be replaced, and yes it is basically a fuel pump. Chris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thank u i just ordered a new one
You are welcome! And if I have been helpful, please don't forget to use the just answer rating service and rate my service. Thank you!! Chris
I will get absolutely no credit unless you rate me. It will not cost you any extra, and I can still help you even after you rate. Thanks! Chris
Hello? Were you able to see my last reply? Are you still here? Chris
Hello?? Where did you go? Chris
Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman