sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dodge: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 with 5.2L. 2 O2 sensor system. I

Customer Question

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 with 5.2L. 2 O2 sensor system. I had a P0138 code(downstream sensor shorted) and I saw there was a broken wire at the sensor. I replaced the sensor, and now I get a P0132 code(upstream sensor high voltage). Never got the P0132 code before, the harness looks ok, and I didn't disturb the upstream sensor or connector. Any ideas? Could that sensor be bad too, and just didn't show because of the downstream sensor being shorted, or do I have a fuel mixture problem?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.The only way to look at this issue is from the PCM's perspective. Do you have a scan tool that will communicate with the PCM and show you actual sensor voltage? If so, with the sensor disconnected does the scan tool show voltage to be 4.97V or less? If so, repair the sensor connector or replace the sensor. If voltage more than 4.97V, look for a short to power on the harness between the sensor and the PCM. If none found, replace PCM.Please let me know if you have any other questions.Best Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have access to a scanner. What if I disconnected the sensor and ran the engine. IF I get the same code, that would tell me I have a shorted harness or bad PCM, right? On the other hand, if the code goes away, how can I tell if I have a bad sensor or too rich of a fuel mixture?
I’m sorry, but I don’t have any other information that could help you at this time. I’ll opt out so others may try. Please do not reply until another expert responds or the site will cycle this request back to me.Best Regards.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!P0132 sets when the upstream signal voltage goes too high, at or near 5v. This can only happen with an open signal or sensor ground circuit, or an internally failed sensor. What needs to be done is test the sensor ground at the sensor and ensure there is a 5v pullup on the signal wire with the key on, if ok then the sensor can be condemned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whilst waiting for another answer, I solved the problem myself
I'm glad you got it repaired.