Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2004 ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi. It was running fine

Customer Question
then when I slowed down...
I have a 2004 ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi. It was running fine then when I slowed down to turn it shut down hasn't started since. It will try to start when pushing the gas peddle to the floor. I have replaced the timing chain, the cam sensor, crank sensor. Any ideas would be great at this point thank you!
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I would like to fix yes!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: About three weeks before this it was in an accident where it was rolled on it's side not sure if that has anything to do with it or not!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
5/15/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 1 year ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Does the engine have spark when cranking? If so, does it run on starting fluid? Are there any codes in the computer?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It does have spark. It will not run on starting fluid. There are no codes in the computer.
Ok, this is a big problem. If the engine does not run on starting fluid (if you disable the fuel system and spray starting fluid into the intake) this means we have an ignition or valve timing issue.
Have you checked engine compression?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not checked the compression. I did put a new timing chain in thought that was the problem but still same issue.
Can you run a compression check and reply back with the compression readings?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I didn't disable the fuel system before spraying starting fluid. How do you disable it? I am at work right now it will be late tonight before I can check the compression. What would be the general area that the compression should be?
You could disconnect the connectors going to the injectors or you can pull the fuel pump fuse or relay to disable the fuel system. The compression should be between 150 and 200 psi. All cylinders should be within 10 to 15% of eachother.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you I will check this when I get home tonight!
Your welcome! I will be looking forward to your reply!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could it be the MAP sensor causing this issue?
YES, it could.. however, not based on what your telling me. The MAP sensor would prevent the engine from getting fuel.. therefore it would/should start and run on starting fluid.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked the compression! They are all anywhere from 195 to 200. I pulled the fuel pump relay and sprayed starting fluid in it. Does the same thing still won't start. If you hold the pedal to the floor it will try to start but won't. Any ideas on what it could be?
And your sure there is spark to each cylinder when cranking? Are you sure there are no codes stored in the computer?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is spark to all cylinders! I put a plug in each one of the wires and cranked it all sparking. As far as the codes all I done was cycled the key 3 times! I haven't had it hooked to a computer yet. That might be my next opposition you think?
YES, that would be our next step
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you I will try to get it in somewhere or find someone that can to the house and check. Try to save money on a tow bill.
Sounds good! You are welcome!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would the battery in the keyless entry being dead have anything to do with it? Maybe causing the security system to stay on not allowing it to run?
Based on the information you are telling me, now this is not related to the security system. But it is a good idea to check for codes in the computer as this may help pinpoint which direction we need to go.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I replaced the timing chain I haven't put it all back together yet. Like the water pump alternater air condition pump will all that need to be back on for it to run
Only if it is interfering with the cam and or crank senors or signals in anyway.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Put all that back together still same issue! Is there anything else I can check or look at before towing it somewhere to have computer checked? If it won't run will someone be able to scan the computer?
YES, it should communicate with any scanner as long as the key is turned to the "ON" position. I would try scanning it for codes first before getting it towed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a friend coming tomorrow with a scanner! I'll let you know any codes it gives hope one of them will give me my fix!
Fingers crossed!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your help!
Your welcome!
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician