-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Dodge: I have a 2007 Dodge Ram with a 6.7 L turbo diesel engine.

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram with a 6.7 L turbo diesel engine. I have developed an exhaust smell in the passenger compartment. A certified diesel mechanic replaced the cross-over tube gaskets and burned out the EGR device. The smell still exists.
I see on the internet that this is a common problem.
What is the final fix that will work.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 18 years and I will do my best to help. I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on... If you smell exhaust inside the cab then you have a leak somewhere in the EGR system or exhaust so you will need to open the hood and look for soot collecting around a gasket or the turbo turndown pipe. I have repaired a few for the EGR cooler gasket leaking but again you will need to look for the black soot around the leak, once you locate the black soot you will be able to repair the leak... If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!Have a great day,Brad