Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cannot shift into reverse, 2nd, fourth or 6th gear. First,

Customer Question
Cannot shift into reverse...

Cannot shift into reverse, 2nd, fourth or 6th gear. First, third and fifth work although shift lever seems loose when going into gear. This happened at a stop sign with no noise or indication of anything wrong.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

If I can.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/11/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 2 years ago
Joshua Haynes
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'm going to assist you.
Dodge Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 2 years ago
What is the year, make and model of your vehicle?
Dodge Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 2 years ago
Hi, do you still need help with this problem?
Waiting for your response.
Dodge Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 2 years ago
ok, I need to know what is the year, make and model of your vehicle.
07.5 3500 Ram 6.7L 6 speed manual
Dodge Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 2 years ago
It sounds like you have a broken shifter cable. When you attempt to put it into gear in the gears that will not engage, what does happen?
You can not move shifter lever rearward to R,2,4 or 6th gear position. Lever can be moved right and left and forward to engage 1st, 3rd and 5th. Does this transmission use forks or cable to engage gears?
Dodge Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 2 years ago
I apologize, I misspoke about the cable...it sounds like you have a broken shifter mechanism. It does use forks to shift. The shifter sits directly on top of the transmission. Are you able to pull the boot off and access the four bolts holding the shifter on top of the transmission?