xsvector
xsvector, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  asetech
6149662

Sometimes, about once a week, when I try to start my car (2008

Customer Question

Sometimes, about once a week, when I try to start my car (2008 dodge caravan) I hear a thunk but the engine does not turn over. This usually happens when the car is hot, but not always. If I keep trying to start the car it will (so far) eventually start, but that might be after 30 -40 tries.
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I don't care I just want it fixed. I have taken it twice to the dealer, but all they do is try to start it, so far it has always started when they tried it.
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: that's it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.
that's all the symptoms of a failed starter.. Ki would have the starter rebuild or replaced..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already replaced starter conditions got worse after that
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.
did you use a factory starter or a cheap one from a discount parts store?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had it replaced at the dealership
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.
is the clicking / thud coming from the starter when it does not start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't get a clicking, like you get when you try starting with a poor battery. I just get this thud. I don't know for sure that the thud comes from the started. I have always been in the car when I tried starting it.
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.
if the thud is coming from the starter ...its a bad starter...I would talk to dodge about a warranty replacement ..sounds like all the symptoms of a bad starter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the same symptoms with the previous started I had the started replaced on the chance that it was bad. I have taken the car back to the dealer with this problem since the started was replaced, but they could not find a problem. I suspect that if I have this started replaced I will still have the original problem.
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.
you need to make it act up when at the dealer to show them but all the symptoms are that of a bad starter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It only happens about once a week or sometimes it might be good for a couple of weeks. It is not possible except by exstream
luck to have it happen at the dealer
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.
ahh well when it happens if someone is with you check to see if the noise is coming from the starter...if it is its the fault
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks.
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.
best of luck.. hope you can rate me 5 star