Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Sometimes, about once a week, when I try to start my car (2008

Customer Question
dodge caravan) I hear a...
Sometimes, about once a week, when I try to start my car (2008 dodge caravan) I hear a thunk but the engine does not turn over. This usually happens when the car is hot, but not always. If I keep trying to start the car it will (so far) eventually start, but that might be after 30 -40 tries.
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I don't care I just want it fixed. I have taken it twice to the dealer, but all they do is try to start it, so far it has always started when they tried it.
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: that's it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/9/2016
Dodge Mechanic: xsvector, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
xsvector
xsvector, Auto Mechanic
that's all the symptoms of a failed starter.. Ki would have the starter rebuild or replaced..
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Already replaced starter conditions got worse after that
did you use a factory starter or a cheap one from a discount parts store?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had it replaced at the dealership
is the clicking / thud coming from the starter when it does not start?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't get a clicking, like you get when you try starting with a poor battery. I just get this thud. I don't know for sure that the thud comes from the started. I have always been in the car when I tried starting it.
if the thud is coming from the starter ...its a bad starter...I would talk to dodge about a warranty replacement ..sounds like all the symptoms of a bad starter
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had the same symptoms with the previous started I had the started replaced on the chance that it was bad. I have taken the car back to the dealer with this problem since the started was replaced, but they could not find a problem. I suspect that if I have this started replaced I will still have the original problem.
you need to make it act up when at the dealer to show them but all the symptoms are that of a bad starter
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It only happens about once a week or sometimes it might be good for a couple of weeks. It is not possible except by exstream
luck to have it happen at the dealer
ahh well when it happens if someone is with you check to see if the noise is coming from the starter...if it is its the fault
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thanks.
best of luck.. hope you can rate me 5 star
xsvector
xsvector
xsvector, Auto Mechanic