Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 98 dodge ram 1500 the speedometer not working I changed

Customer Question
the vss on the dif...
I have a 98 dodge ram 1500 the speedometer not working I changed the vss on the dif and change sensor on transmission and changed the wires don't know what to do could it be the ground
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: my name is ***** ***** I drive the speedometer goes just a bite up the rpm works great
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I know lots about mecanic just that it's fustrating
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I change bought vss change the 2 wires going to the connection
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: I change the motor by a garage and the truck is like new everything been changed on the truck
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
5/5/2016
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 1 year ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 18 years and I will do my best to help. The PCM uses a speed pulse input received from the Controller Anti-lock Brake (CAB) and internal programming to decide what vehicle speed and distance messages are required. The PCM then sends the proper messages to the instrument cluster circuitry on the CCD data bus. The CAB uses an input from the rear wheel speed sensor and internal programming, which includes a programmable pinion factor to compensate for different axle gear ratios and tire sizes, to determine what speed pulse output is required. The CAB then sends the proper speed pulse to the PCM on a hard-wired circuit.The rear wheel speed sensor is excited by an exciter ring on the differential case within the rear axle housing. Incorrect tire size, incorrect axle ratio, an incorrect pinion factor, a faulty or improperly installed rear wheel speed sensor, a faulty rear axle exciter ring, or a faulty CAB can each result in inaccurate speedometer readings. Since you have replaced the RWAL sensor on the rear axle and the output sensor on the transmisison, then you will need to know what codes the PCM and ABS module has to repair this issue.. Do you have a scantool to retrieve the codes? Post the codes here so I can help you get it fixed...
-Brad-
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech