Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

1500 slt 5.7 v8 4x4: , I'm trying to solve a cruise control

Customer Question
Hi, I'm trying to solve...
Hi, I'm trying to solve a cruise control issue. As long as my truck is not moving the "cruise" light will come on when I push the button but as soon as I start rolling the light turns off. If I try to turn it on while I'm already rolling it will do nothing. My friend owns a shop and we've checked/replaced a bunch of things with no luck yet. Any suggestions? We have replaced the clock spring, both switches on steering wheel, break pedal switch, rear speed sensor and tested front wheel bearing sensor.
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 slt 5.7 v8 4x4
-Rick
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
5/5/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello Rick , my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.The cruise control system should be setting a fault code and or codes when it fails. If you can get the system scanned and the code and or codes retrieved I will see if I can help you get this resolved. Post back with them when you can and we can work from there.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Ron, thanks for looking into my question. We've been working on this issue for about a month now and it's driving me nuts. I work about 20 miles away from where I live and it's just down two stretched of highway that I love using cruise control on to save gas and to avoid any tickets. I just hooked my reader up and nothing shows. I can swing by my friends shop and have him read it with his. I called and asked if he remembered what code it gave us and he didn't remember. He said it was something in the "body codes". It was just one code though. Aside from knowing the code any ideas what might be the next step to a solution?
Thanks,
Rick
Rick,You will need a full scan tool to pull cruise codes so yes, stop by your buddies place and have them retrieve them for you. Once you have them, post back with them and I see if I can help you get this resolved.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Ron, I just left my friends shop. This time there was no codes and we can't find the work order where we wrote down the one that came up before.
-Rick
Well at some point the cruise not working should set a fault code. I really need it in order to know which steps to help you with getting this resolved.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He scanned it and got the code about a month ago. He never cleared it and I've been driving it for the past month and now no code comes up. Is there anything we can look into as is? I don't really want to keep driving it and testing it every so often in the hopes that the code will come back sooner or later.
-Rick
Well the problem is knowing which tests to performed, there all based on the fault code your getting. Unfortunately I do not know any ways around it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there any tests I can look into currently.
-Rick
Well I would start with the switches and the clock spring. See the steps in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Speed%20switch%20May%206.pdf
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I already replaced the clock spring and both of the switches on the steering wheel.
-Rick
Okay when then I would check the signal from them to the servo . See the steps to do that in the link below. Its a guessing game with out having the code.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Servo%20May%206.pdf
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In the description the applicability says for the 4.7 v8 and 3.7 v6. I have the 5.7 v8
-Rick
Its the same test.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician