Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Dodge Ram 2500: , I need help in resetting anti-theft system

Customer Question
Hi, I need help in...
Hi, I need help in resetting anti-theft system on my 2003 Dodge Ram truck.
Here is what I did…. I pulled out the instrument cluster to change out the light bulbs. My mistake was that I did NOT disconnect the battery, I know it is stupid but tooo late to get smart since it is done.
Here is what is happening now.
The cluster shows only the mileage, no gauges work or anything else.
Lights work, Radio works, interior lights work.
I do NOT have aftermarket alarm
I do NOT have remote door opening module or remotes
I DO have power locks
I have black keys which worked fine up to the moment I pulled out the cluster.
When I turn the key to the start position, it acts dead, turns off the radio and the instrument cluster mileage display.
Please help with advice, since it is a long tow to the dealer for me.
I have tried:
disconnection and re connecting the battery
Removing and reinserting the #51 fuse
Turning the door lock and unlock key on BOTH the driver and passenger side.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
5/3/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics replied 1 year ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
What Model Dodge Truck?What Engine?Manual or Automatic?Do you have a Test Light or Volt Meter & know how to use?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2003 Dodge Ram 2500
5.7L Hemi
Automatic Transmission
Yes I have and know how to use a volt meter
When I turn in the ignition NOTHING (except mileage and hazard warning lights) on the cluster work. When I go to start by turning the key to start mileage disappears and radio shuts down.
Thank you
thanks for the added info...........Please be sure the Battery is Fully ChargedTest Voltage + on "both sides" of Fuses "PTC 2", "18" & "22" located in the Under Hood Fuse Panel with Key ONIF Voltage + is good, test the TAN (pin14), RED (pin 1), & BLACK / RED (pin13) wires of the Instrument Cluster with Key ONLet me know what you find
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Battery: 12.5V
PTC2: 12.4V and 12.4V
PTC18: 12.2V and 12.2V
PTC22: 12.3V and 12.3V
On the gray plug with ignition off ON and the cluster removed
Pin 1: RED 12.6V
Pin 14: 12.8V
Pin 13: 0V Zero Volt
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry typo, yes I did have the key ON
thanks.......PIN 13 should be BLACK / RED wireCan you verify that again with the Cluster plugged in & Key ON?
I am showing "3" Plugs to the Instrument ClusterC1 Plug is a 26 PINC2 Plug is a 16 PINC3 Plug is a 26 PINSorry for the confusion, but I neglected to post Plug C3 PIN 13 BLACK / REDTo clarify..........Test the TAN (pin14) C3, RED (pin 1)C1, & BLACK / RED (pin13)C3 wires of the Instrument Cluster with Key ONagain....sorry for the confusion..........
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
12,3V on all (Pin 1, 13 and 14) on C1 plug and yes wire pin 13 is black/red
Thank you for the info...........At this point it appears the Cluster is not communicatingHave you tried a Self Test on the Cluster?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I have not started self test on cluster, my thought are that I have somehow tripped the Vehicle Theft security System
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
because when I turn the key on to start position it turns off the radio and the cluster was working fine. At the same time the are NO lights that come on in the cluster with the ignition key in on position
Security would not blank out the ClusterSecurity Indicator would be OnWith the Cluster Plugged IN correctly, Disconnect the Battery Ground Cable for 1 minuteJumper or try another Battery to StartIF none of the above works, then you can try the Self Test:::This self test can be initiated manually by depressing and holding the trip reset button while cycling the ignition from the Off to the On position.During the self test, all of the PCI bus indicators will be illuminated. The speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge, oil pressure gauge, coolant temperature gauge, and voltage gauge will position at their calibration points. The VF display will illuminate all segments and also display the software version. The chime will sound. When the self test is complete, the cluster will return to normal operation. Turning the ignition to the Off position or the cluster detecting engine RPM greater than 0 (zero) will stop the self test.::.IF still nothing, then you will need use of Dealer Scan Tool or equal to test Communicationapprx 1 hour laborlet me know what you find
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried Jump starting, did not work.
The cluster does NOT go into self test mode.
at this point you need use of Dealer Scan Tool or equal that can test Communication to the Instrument Cluster Module that is part of the ClusterYou have tested Voltage Inputs & Battery Voltage appears good.Sorry for the issue, but there are only a few things that would keep the Cluster from workinglet me know what happensthank you
Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A..NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed..If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better..Rating is very Important to our Service.
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch