bill
bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert
5203640

Badkey error. JA: When it comes to cars, connecting with a

Customer Question

badkey error.
JA: When it comes to cars, connecting with a mechanic is always key -- sorry! Sometimes I can't help myself;-) Seriously, though, the mechanics are bona fide experts, and it would be my pleasure to put you in touch with the best one for this. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: badkey error.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes, need car
JA: Great! What have you tried so far? Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: locked and unlocked the car.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
I have bad news unless you have a spare key you will likely not be able to fix this yourself.bad key can be 1 of 2 things MOST LIKELY is as it says a bad key which means you will need a new key and have it programmed either by a qualified tech or a locksmith that has the ability to program chip keysOR 2 a bad security module, which will also need to be programmed to your car.you didn't say what the year and model of your dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2016. I inserted the wrong key. Now correct key won't work.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
2016 what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dodge grand caravan
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
as soon as you insert the correct key the system will reset UNLESS you damaged the key module (KIN) with the wrong key like say it was from a different manufacturer or completely different year that used a totally different key
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
what year and model did the incorrect key come from?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2014 chevy malibu. Not a fob key. It's now in upright position.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
does the factory key operate the ignition switch correctly?if it does not the ignition switch (WIN MODULE, or security module) has been damaged and must be replaced and programmed
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
if you insert the correct factory key and it says "BAD KEY" the WIN module has been damaged
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have correct key, but cannot insert. Ignition switch is in upright position.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
then the ignition switch has been damaged it will need to be replaced and programmed, sorry about the bad news
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
you can try reinserting the WRONG key and seeing if it will release the lock and allow the switch to return but if it will not then the ignition switch will need replacing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Original key worked after waiting 2 hours with no activity.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
good sounds like it went into anti scan lock out and the system reset after it no longer saw the incorrect key