Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Dodge RAM 3500 dually: I have a Dodge RAM 3500. 4*4 dually..it

Customer Question
I have a Dodge RAM...
I have a Dodge RAM 3500. 4*4 dually..it jerk or jump when I but load on it only in reverse
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
4/28/2016
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If the problem only happens in reverse then you're likely feeling a transmission issue. If the low/reverse band is slipping due to misadjustment, failure or the servo leaking then it will cause a jerk or slipping. Does it feel as if the trans is slipping or disengaging in reverse?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is a manually 6 speed I was told it was clutch I replaced it still same thing and it does it In first and reverse no grinding or piping in the transmission or rear end did find out after pulling the plug on transfer case that it was out of oil
In that case the problem is most likely in the transfer case. Does anything change in four high?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dont no yet going to put new transfer case in this weekend .i was told I could also have the emergency brake stuck
I doubt you have an emergency brake issue, but you could tell easily by seeing if the rear wheels spin freely when off the ground.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would you have any other suggestions if it ain't transfer case I put new carrier bearing in and new universal joint new clutch throw out bearing flywheel and pressure plate
By the description it sounds like mechanical failure in the drivetrain, whether it's in the transmission, transfer case or differential. If the transfer case was allowed to run dry then that's the most likely cause. It's not likely to be a differential issue if the problem only happens in first and reverse and there is no other abnormal noise, and it isn't that likely to be in the transmission with these symptoms.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08