sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Well there's a COUPLE, REALLY.... First, It suddenly started

Customer Question

Well there's a COUPLE, REALLY.... First, It suddenly started ticking like a lifter noise, I added two bottles of miracle oil. And one can of Seafoam in it and NOTHING changed... A day later it's considerably louder, I've had for ppl tell me different things.. Lifter needs adjusted, bent lifter arm, Bent rod, and thrown rod....I haven't driven it but maybe five miles since noise started.... However, can't afford a real mechanic, and no clue how to adjust a lifter, etc....2. Wondering what motor(s) I could swap with... Gas only, and smaller of possible
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Dodge Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Idk... But I know I can't afford a mechanic, and from what I've seen it looks to be quite the job.... And I'm a shade tree mechanic, at BEST.... BUT the truck itself has sentimental value, so was thinking engine swap if it's rod knocking
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: In the last year, I've replaced power steering pump (twice) steering gear box. Master cylinder, water pump, alternator, and radiator by myself... Before this happened it had been sounding like a wet serpentine belt, but squealed all the time...... Then the knock/ticking sound came along about 15 days later... It didn't overheat, or anything recently to cause tough... Always had oil, etc...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!No vehicle information was posted with the question but very few modern vehicles hve adjustable lifters. Unless this is a Cummins diesel then you have hydraulic lifters that don't require adjustment.What year and model is the vehicle and what engine do you have?