Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a Dodge Dakota from 2000, 4x4 Quad cab V8 4.7L.A

Customer Question

I have a Dodge Dakota from 2000, 4x4 Quad cab V8 4.7L.A few time ago I start having electric/electronic problems. Sometimes when you would try to start in the morning the battery would be drained flat.
Later these problems start happening more often a couple times the headlights wouldn’t turn off even if I turn off the truck and take the keys out, or the lights inside the cab wouldn’t turn off. To solve this, I always had to disconnect the battery for a few seconds and connect again. I thought the computer of the truck was getting crazy.
Then I bought a battery shut off switch because was happening to often. And basically I “solve” the problem. Because i would shut off every time I would stop the truck.There is another problem too, that I don’t know if it is creating shorts or things like that. The ignition module on the steering wheel was forced by someone ... and now slides off. of the “notch” position and can create all kind of problems like the turning lights not working and so on...Last week Friday after arriving outside the garage, I got out left the truck idling while I went to open the garage door. When came back the truck was shut off, and never turn on again.
It cranks but the engine never fires.
The battery gauge and fuel gauge on the panel, now are always showing nothing. Sometimes show no bus on the odometer.my local mechanic says that the computer is gone and should need a new one and be reprogrammed, and only can be done by a dodge dealer, he says that because his testing machine cannot get any response from the computer.Any advise?
The hammering on the deposit was done to see if the pump wasn’t working properly but didn’t work
If there is a computer problem can I buy one on the junkyard and installed it to solve the problem?
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically I want to know what is the problem and what an I do to fix in a more affordable way
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. This is a very common issue with these vehicles. The problem is that there is not "one" fix. It could be many thing. However, my experience has been that this is caused by a bad central timer module or a bad PCM (engine computer). The central timer module is located behind the right side of the dash and is basically the body control module for the vehicle. This would explain the issue with the headlights and inside lights. The PCM can also go bad shorting out preventing the engine from starting and causing this no bus message you are getting. Both modules will need to be configured after they are installed using the factory DRB3 scanner.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
I am glad I can help! It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance? Let me know!