Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 96 dodge v10 , I replaced the

Customer Question
***** ***** , I have...
***** ***** , I have a 96 dodge v10 , I replaced the o2 sensors with what I thought was right,my milage is worse!! The local Dodge dealer tells me that I have 4 sensors , a before and after cat,I don't , only 2 I've owned the truck for 20 years , I know it came from the factory this way . Any idea of the correct o2 sensors number??
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 96 dodge v10 4x4 dual cat converters , my milage was about 9 to 9.5. I figured that after 20 years and 168k miles new o2 sensors would help . I replaced them with " before " cat sensors and my milage decreased to 8mpg! I threw away the old sensor so I don't have the part number to match to get the correct ones.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/19/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer
hello the original equipment sensor is an NTK partNTK number NTK 23506 and should have a 4 pin connector that looks like this also check for exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor as if this has been experiencing an exhaust leak then it will have been running very rich as the sensor will see the extra air pulled in as fresh / lean fuelling and be adding fuel to compensate. this can lead to catalyst failure as the extra fuel can re-light inside and melt the catalyst The best way to find an exhaust leak is to run the engine from cold and feel around the exhaust joints with your bare hands - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot and you should feel any escaping gas blowing over your fingers
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you
Matt, Engineer