Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Dodge Dakota: Dodge Dakota 2001 4.7 liter truck is dying at

Customer Question

Dodge Dakota 2001 4.7 liter truck is dying at low speeds like coasting to stop sign etc had this prob before it was crankshaft positioning senscer so I changed it no fix. And the engine light is not coming on either so I don't have a code to read
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. This stalling condition is most likley caused by an air/vacuum leak or a bad/lazy idle air control motor. Start by checking under the hood for vacuum leaks. Listen close for any hissing sound indicating a vacuum leak. Look close by the intake manifold and gasket as well as the throttle body and gasket. Also, check any vacuum hoses or lines for leaks and fix/replace any as needed. If all checks out good, then I would suspect a bad idle air control motor causing the engine to stall out at lower engine rpms..
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Another thing to check is the transmission fluid level. Low fluid level on this transmission can cause the torque converter clutch to disengage slowly causing the engine to stall when coming to a stop. This transmission is very fussy with the fluid level and the level on the dipstick can vary greatly with transmission fluid temperature. Make sure the fluid level is OK according to the transmission fluid temperature.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
I am glad I can help! It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trans fluid level is fine I'm curious as to why the engine light doesn't come on?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
There could be a few reasons.. if it is a lazy idle air control motor, then the check engine light will never come on if the circuit is good going to the IAC. In addition, if it does not affect emissions, the check engine light will not come on either..
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Does that make sense? Did you have any further questions?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
If not, please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer. Of course please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with and I will be more than happy to help.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance? Let me know!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.