Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Service def system engin will not start in 380 ***** *****?

Customer Question
My name is ben JA: Thanks...
Service def system engin will not start in 380 ***** *****? My name is ben
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Ram 5500###-##-####***** *****. Just put emmisions back on. Can smell urea like it is working truck runs fine. Code po49d egr cntrl positoon exceeded learning limit po405 edr sensor a circut low
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
4/13/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 1 year ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Any other DEF codes besides those 2 EGR codes? Chris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thete was a couple unlnowncodes. But cleared couple times and they are gone.
Ok if there are no reductant/DEF codes, then the PCM needs to see that the DEF pump can build pressure and spray sufficiently into the SCR cat and then see a NOX reduction. If the DEF fluid is old, then drain and refill the tank with fresh DEF. If the problem continues, then you will need to go to the dealer so that some tests can be performed on the DEF system. Chris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can smell the urea out the exhaust. I have got to clean the egr to hopefully clear the po49d code. Is there any way to bypass the dealer service shutdown. Also thought about tuning back to no power dpf delete tune for couple weeks until new truck is ready. Without taking dpf off.
The dealer has a special WiTech scan tool that can extend the mileage and possibly clear the message for good. There is no user way for you to do that. However, I would clean the EGR Valve and use your tuner to get around this for now. That is probably the best idea for now. At least you can drive it without worrying. Chris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Damage to dpf if running dpf delete tune w no power but dpf present?
No. It will not damage the DPF at all. I see no problem doing that. Chris
Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman