Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Ram 1500:*****by wire cruise turns on but will

Customer Question
*****by wire cruise turns on...
*****by wire cruise turns on but will turn off at 10/05k sometimes you can turn it on at 100k and might work for a ways only thing shows on my solus is s /c codes it says but can not access moving or stopped ??clears with no codes
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/12/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. One common component I have seen cause an issue like this here before in the past is a failing wheel speed sensor.A failing wheel speed sensor in allot of cases will not cause a fault code to set as the anti lock brake computer thinks the sensor is sending a different speed signal from the rest of the wheel speed sensors due to the wheel slipping on a slippery road surface but this disengages the cruise control.If you have not used a compatible scan tool that can read the anti lock brake computer and sensors this needs done so when the vehicle is driven if one of the sensors is sending a false wheel speed signal this is the wheel speed sensor needing replaced to correct this issue here.This is common as I have had to replace several of these before in the past for this issue here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello pete this truck only has rwal on it
Can you tell me the liter engine in this model here?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
5.7 ram 4dr
O.k.,this model uses a left front wheel speed sensor and a rear wheel speed sensor.If one of these sensors is acting up it can send an incorrect signal causing this issue here.I would have the signals checked to see if one is found to be an issue here.I would also have the brake switch checked to see if it is sending an incorrect signal intermittently (intermittently signaling the brake pedal is pressed when it is not) which will cause this fault as well. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this may have a sensor in r front speed reads correctly on dash and abs speed solus scanner
My info shows a left front speed sensor and rear speed sensor for the RWAL vehicles.Have you checked the signal from the brake switch with a scan tool data list when the cruise disengages?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i will verify again but as of now i will say yes i have had a person follow for brk lights on none but i will doulble ck tomorrow ..truck will be in tomorrow .10.00am ast iwill be in touch thks merrill
O.k.,let me know.Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello pete merrill again i am on the job now you were correct frt sensor on left reads good ,steady ..what i am seeing on my scanner is my heading working status turned on but speed below 18k says disenaged sc denied status it has speed sensor .as soon as you go above 18k thecruise light turns off working status i get tis symbol ???? on sc denied it says s/c dtc as soon as i stop or slow wheels to under it flips back to disengaged &status speed sensor...doesnt matter if it is all 4 wheels turning or just rear merrill
Are you saying the speed sensor signal is now registering at all times?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yes output is good &steady but makes no diff if the truck is on the stands on on the road same results
O.k.,so it does register properly when the fault occurs?Were there any issues with the brake switch signal found at all?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yep have not caught any glitches i went through all brake light pids on engine trans abs no faults set up mirror on door to watch brks no issues,.
This is a difficult one for me to answer here myself.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!Can you let me know the size shown on the sidewall of each tire?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i thought of the same thing all tires are 20 same rims nothing odd
I would assume the wheel size is the same, but I need to know the exact size of each tire.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
truck no longer with me i do not follow you all tires the same size and right for truck according to door placard
This was something you specifically checked, all four tires, before knowing it was something that needed to be done?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yes not my first rodeo 42 yrs in this earlier days of cruise even a slight vacum leak people using space saving spares on the rear, wrong pulleys on vacum pumps. one of the first to ck is any and all alterations merrill
Was there tread depth variance?Are there any P codes currently setting?Are all switch inputs correct?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
tread depth app 1/32 tires relatively new no p codes at all i intradused a speed sensor code on the abs to see a response o my scanner it was there..switch tests under s/c denied status when sitting still cruise turned on would read speed sensor . at 15 to 20 k it would turn off and reading would change to s/c dtc s as soon as the speed would drop below 20k would revert to the speed sensor reading on my scanner .the voltages and ressistance where within 10% at 12 celuis garage temp.
If it is showing a DTC as the reason for cruise being denied then there is a DTC or one trip failure setting which is disabling it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that has been my problem you can not capture the info or i would have it fixed?? i wouldnt be on here thk merrill
Are you not able to read one trip failures?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not lasting long enough for my solus to grab it
A one trip failure will store for the remainder of the key cycle it sets in and will only be erased at the end of the next trip if the problem no longer exists.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i wish i could send the truck to you /It landed here because 2 other places couldnt fix it otc genisis couldnt catch it ..it is barely a glitch..i cant spend any more time on it
It's going to take a more capable scan tool to diagnose the issue if you're unable to see what fault code is setting. The problem may be soothing that happens quickly, but if the inhibit reason is a fault code setting then the code is stored for the remainder of that trip and the entirety of the next trip.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08