sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

RAM 2500: I have a crank but no start condition on a 2012

Customer Question

Hi
I have a crank but no start condition on a 2012 RAM 2500 with the 6.7 Liter Cummins and the scaner just gives me one code for Injector 4(code P0204), I have noticed something and I'm guessing this is where my problem is that There is no fuel pressure at the fuel injection pump discharge tube that goes directly to the injector's fuel rail even though the fuel tank lift pump does deliver good pressure to the inlet of the fuel injection pump.
What should I check for this kind of problem ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If there is no flow from the high pressure pump when cranking yet there is ample fuel to it from the transfer pump then it would have to be a mechanical failure of the injector pump, which would be extremely rare.Using the scan tool what are rail pressure and setpoint while cranking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello

sorry for the late reply but work kept me busy, the readings with the scaner for the rail pressure are 5176-5438p.s.i. and the setpoint readings while cranking 5290-5656psi.

I don't understand why does the scanner gets this readings when cranking but if I check visually the flow at the high pressure pump I see there is no fuel there.

thanks!

P.S. I forgot to mention that today the scanner got this other code P0254.

I will measure the flow at the High pressure pump while cranking for 30 seconds and will give you the amount of fuel in Milliliters(ml) maybe this can give you a clue.

What is rail pressure without cranking the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it fluctuates from 10psi-40psi the readings are erratic but the lowest reading is 10psi and the highest is 40psi.

thanks!

You do have enough rail pressure for it to start then.Are the cam and crank signals present and in sync?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a brand new Launch X431 PRO3 scan tool and it has a lot of features or parameters to check on the Cummins but it can't check the Cam and Crank signals nor the Sync between them, can I help you in any other way? Today the Cummins started for 1-2 seconds then it stalled but it did that just one time then it just cranked but no start.

I waited for an hour or so and tried again and it did the same thing it started for 1-2 seconds and it stalled again.

Does it start, run for 1-2 seconds and die abruptly like the key is shut off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is not like a clear start and running engine If I can describe it better it is more like it roughly tries to run for 1-2 seconds then it goes back to the no start condition but it doesn't run smoothly during this short time

Have you taken a fuel sample?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi

fuel sample was ok and I already check for the connector tubes on the injectors to check for rust, debris or corrosion of any type and everything is clean.

I found something today that a pin in the PCM was bent and making contact on another pin so I will like if you can provide an ECU pin diagram or layout so I can check if this has something to do with my problem I was thinking that maybe this two pins contacting each other may have harm the ECU. Please provide a Pin Layout so I can check the correspondence of the two pins making contact.

thanks!

What pins were touching?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

pins 61 and 43

Those are two injector control circuits and shouldn't be a concern.I assume it still does not start after repairing the terminals?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

but I forgot to mention that the pins touching are from the black connector, the grey one has the same numbered pins please be aware of this.

Does it still not start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no it won´t, but I will like to know what is the function of those two pins at the black connector, I would really appreciate a pin layout please?

They're injector control circuits.You mentioned not thinking you had output from the high pressure pump but then mentioned rail pressure being over 5,000 PSI while cranking, which is contradictory. How did you check pump output?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I know is contradictory but I guess I made a wrong appreciation of what was happening because I read in a dodge forum that The High Pressure pump only needs to supply a minimum of 100 ml in 30 seconds of cranking...and when I did this test the amount of fuel that I got was closed to the 100ml mark but back when I ask the question here at justanswer I didn´t knew this and I thought it was too small of a flow.

I was wrong when I said there was no flow at the beginning I guess.

Have you tried removing the exhaust from the particulate filter back? You may have an exhaust restriction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

disconnected the exhaust tube at the Turbo and still won't start, I have a question how many volts there should be at the positive wire of the fuel injectors? I removed the valve cover to check this and I've noticed no voltage with the ignition on and neither while cranking the engine?

Is it currently setting injector circuit codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Code P0204

What is the resistance of the number four injector with the wiring disconnected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I`m not sure if the readings are accurate enough because my Multitester is a cheap unit but it reads 4-5 ohms. for all six injectors including number four

What does it show with the leads touched to each other?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

with the leads of the Multitester touching each other the display is 2-3 ohms.

Has the number 4 injector wiring from the ECM to valve cover and the wiring in the valve cover gasket been tested?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will have to check on this because of the code P0204 but I don´t think this has somerthing to do with the engine not starting right? I need to focus on starting the engine then I will have to check on the injector code.

The engine can't start if the injectors don't operate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I only have a code for injector number 4, it should start with cylinder number misfiring?

You don't know that there isn't an issue with number 4 that's affecting more cylinders, or that the only cylinder setting a code is 4 but there is a more widespread issue. At this point you're going to either need to start by diagnosing the known issues or seek an experienced technician to have a look at it in person and see what is being overlooked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so I swap number 1 and number 4 injector and the code was still P0204 so I check for continuity and short to grounds at the wiring from number 4 injector to the valve cover and then from the valve cover all the way to the PCM and everything is fine there is continuity and there is no short to ground at the two wires all the way from the injector to the PCM the wiring is good.

The wiring should really be load tested with a bulb rather than relying on an ohm meter, but if the wiring and injectors are good then the issue has to be in the ECM.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can you refer to me a good known shop or technician that can check this PCM for me? Remember I have told you before that terminals 61 and 43 were touching each other and I see some silicone sealant at the cover of the PCM so I´m guessing that before this RAM was here with me some other person may have mess with it. This is a very expensive part and I don´t want to order a new one if this can be repair.

I couldn't recommend any company that claims to test or repair modules. If the testing has been done correctly then the ECM should be replaced.