Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Dodge Ram 2500: 2001 Ram 2500 Cummins. Starts fine and runs

Customer Question
2001 Ram 2500 Cummins. Starts...
2001 Ram 2500 Cummins. Starts fine and runs great for a few minutes then will start missing. If you turn the key off and back on quickly it smooths out and runs fine for a few minutes then will start missing again until you quickly cycle the key off then back on. It doesn't matter if you are going down the road or holding it at a fast idle. If i am driving it it loses power and will not accelerate until you cycle the key then it runs fine again for a few minutes
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Additionally the injector pump along with FRRP Factory Replacement Raptor Pump" lift pump were replaced about three years ago. Probably less than 3000 miles since replacement.
4/2/2016
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!You may have quite a few things going on including an inaccurate sensor, a fuel supply issue and it's possible that the injector pump is the issue also. If it will run ok again with a key cycle then odds are the issue is electrical.The first step in diagnosing the problem is to see if any fault codes are setting. Most electrical issues, especially something like an erratic crank sensor, should set a code.Have you checked for fault codes?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did check it last night for codes but I don't know when they might have been set. The mil light hasn't come on. The codes that were present were PPCU P0500 and P1693, PECU P0230 and P1693 again. These may have been in there since before I replaced the injector and lift pumps. I was going to clear the codes today and see if they come back. I'm curious that this situation hasn't turned the mil light on.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A little more background. The truck sits a lot. The last time it was fueled up was December 2014 and it still 3/4 full. I drove it to visit my dad about a 25 mile trip, it ran fine just like it always has. When I left dad's after a couple of hours it ran fine for a couple of blocks then is when the problem started. I was able to get it home by cycling the key every time it started running bad. I have run it here in the yard a couple of times since then with the same results. It will start running bad a couple of minutes after it is started while cold and continues until completely warmed up holding the throttle at about 1500 rpm and every time it starts missing cycle the key everything goes back to normal.
Is it actually misfiring or just returning to idle?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It starts missing but keeps running. Doesn't return to idle unless the throttle is released. When the condition starts the engine loses some rpm but does not just return to idle. If I press the throttle it just misses worse until the key is quickly cycled then it goes back to accelerating and running fine for a few minutes.
What issue was the injector pump replaced for?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It just died going down the road. I thought it may have been out of fuel so I put some fuel in and it wouldn't start. I had it towed back home. Then tried to bleed the injectors but no fuel was coming out. Everyone I talked to seemed to think the pump was the problem. As it turned out there was nothing wrong with the original pump. I replaced the pump and it had the same problem no fuel at the injectors. I turned out to be the relay. I replaced it and it fired right up.
When did the current symptoms start as opposed to replacing the injector pump?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The injector pump, lift pump and relay were replaced about 4 years ago. Maybe has 3 or 4 thousand miles since.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Current issue started maybe a month ago. Truck doesn't get driven much anymore.
Have you taken a fuel sample or had a look in the filter housing? Being driven that little may be allowing algae to build up in the fuel system.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't because I thought it was probably something electrical since it returns to running fine once the key is quickly cycled. Do you thing I need to run get a filter and replace it and see what the old one and the fuel in the canister look like?
It would be a good idea to at least take a sample from the drain.You're also going to need to determine if any codes are currently setting. Go ahead and clear them, allow the problem to happen again and see if anything resets.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, I'll have it done shortly.
Great!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I took a fuel sample from the drain and it looked clear with only a couple of tiny pieces of sediment. I took it after bumping the starter to start the lift pump. The computer I have says there are no codes set but the ignition key procedure does. While the computer was connected there were no additional codes set. I did notice that one of the rows that the computer was displaying changed when it started running bad. It was the Calculated Load Value. Holding the throttle at 2000 rpm the value would be 3 or 4 percent but when it started running bad it would jump to 20 to 30 percent. Cycling the key it would return to 3 or 4 percent.
Did you drive the truck and allow the problem to happen again?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Don't have to drive it. The problem will occur just idling or holding it at a fast idle 1500~2000 rpm. After the problem starts if I let it go back to idle you can only detect a slight miss but when you accelerate it is sluggish and won't rev, it also puts out white smoke and misses badly. Cycle the key and everything returns to normal and it will idle and rev flawlessly for a few minutes and then the problem returns again.
What codes did you see when cycling the key?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
P0230 Fuel Pump Primary Circuit MalfunctionP0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor MalfunctionP1693 Turbo Charge Control Circuit Malfunction (in both ecu and pcu)
The P0500 couldn't set without driving the truck. You went into the PCM and ECM both and cleared codes?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The scanner I have stated that there were no codes stored so it will not clear the codes the key sequence showed. Is there another way to clear the codes or do I need to get another scanner?
Yes, if there are codes stored but this code reader can't see them or clear them then you're going to need better equipment.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08