-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

My bf 99 ram B2500 shuts off when let off gas at stop. Also

Customer Question

My bf 99 ram B2500 shuts off when let off gas at stop. Also - it starts fine in morning then will not start again if stop at store. Have to sit for 15-30 min then will start again
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

HI there,

Is it possible to get a list of the parts you have replaced so I don't waste our time on ideas that haven't been successful please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
crank sensor
battery
computer
spark plugs
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Excellent and thank you. Do you happen to know which engine is in it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I do not
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok,

It sounds to me like a problem with the IAC (Idle Air Control) motor. This can be tested by simply removing it from the throttle body, cleaning it up with carb cleaner and cleaning where it sits on the throttle body. Then basically get the engine warmed up and see if the condition continues. I am going to send a diagram of it's location for you so you can remove it. This is on the 5.2L engine which is the most common. Over time the IAC gets gummed up with carbon and it can't adjust properly. Cleaning it can restore it and free up the pintal.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - he will try it tonight
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Another sign that it's stuck is that the van starts good cold, but once it's warm it won't start. This part is suppose to adjust for the fuel mixture based on the engine temp. So, if it's not moving it will cause hard starts at different temp ranges.

Also, let me know if it's a different engine although it is pretty much the same throttle body and location on any of the engines.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Also, please remember to rate my answer. Thanks so much!

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
IAC will not cause a no start. Need to check fuel psi and for spark when it will not start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He cleaned the throttle body with carb cleaner and the fuel psi is fine. Still having the same problem.
He ordered a new computer from Auto Zone. Maybe the one he bought in January is defective.?
Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Did he clean the throttle body or the IAC valve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize - he cleaned the IAC valve
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, it is possible the computer is at fault, but I would be more inclined to think there is a problem with the coolant temp sensor or maybe even one of the ground straps from the engine to the firewall. Computers don't fail that often. If the coolant temp sensor is reading wrong it might give it the wrong info therefore create the wrong fuel mixture. This will cause hard starts and shutting down. I think also there could be an issue with the crank or cam position sensors. Sometimes with these they will heat up and stop sending signal. When it has trouble starting, we have to determine if it's losing spark or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The replacement computer should arrive tomorrow. He replaced the crank sensor. I will tell him about the coolant temp sensor and checking the ground straps.
Last night he was stuck along the highway for 2.5 hours until it finally started again.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, now I would get it good and hot in the driveway, then when it stalls, pull a plug wire and check for spark. We need to know what's missing when it stalls like this on you. The ignition coil may be getting hot and not producing spark anymore. Then when it cools off it's back to running until the conditions are right for it to stop working again. Checking for spark would help and this wouldn't put on the check engine light either..Sorry, for some reason that just clicked in my brain lol. I guess because most engines use coil over plug setup these day and not a coil with a distributor cap and plug wires.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - he will check this today. I will let you know how it goes
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome. It really might be as simple as the coil. Hope it is actually.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He replaced the ignition coil a few weeks ago. That was one of the first parts he replaced. I apologize for not listing that before. He changed the computer out tonight and it shut off a few times but started back up.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so after it stalled it fired right back up without waiting you mean

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
phone number(###) ###-####
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Did you request a phone call?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, I am unable to use the phone at this time. If you would like I can open the question back up so the other experts can view it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be great.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!!!

My Name is ***** ***** I have worked at a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help you get your vehicle repaired...

Do you still need some help with this?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you call(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought the original money I paid covered this issue until it was resolved. Can you read the email string and provide assistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An additional piece of information is it acts up worse when it rains
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

When it stalls do you have spark and fuel psi? If no fuel then check for 12v and ground at the fuel pump.. If no spark check for 12v on the green wire at coil and a ground pulse on the other wire.. Clip the test light to positive post to check for ground pulse.. If no ground pulse you will need a scantool to see if the CKP which is the crankshaft sensor is sending the signal to the PCM..

Let me know the results,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Brad. We will check that tomorrowWould this cause the engine to shut off after it gets hot?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

This testing only needs to be done when it stalls so we can find the issue.. Do not test when it's running fine because all the tests will pass..

Let me know what you find,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brad - he replaced the crank sensor and cam sensor. It didn't solve the problem. Any other ideas?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

What did you find when you run the tests?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure.
He feels like it has something to do with the wires because of someone moves them around it will start. But then it cuts off while driving. Do you have a wiring schematic c from the computer for the 99 full size van with 5.2?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The van still isn't running.