mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.2 Liter V8. Through

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.2 Liter V8. Through the years I have replced the water pump about 4 times. The last time was about a month ago. While I was driving home from work yesterday. I lost most of my antifreeze at what looked like at the the lower left corner of the pump where it connects to the engine. I am about out of ideas how to get a pump to seal to the engine. Any ideas?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Today I am going to pressurize the system to locate the leak exact. If it is what I suspect. I will remove the pump and replace the gasket. I am just wondering if the engine surface could possibly not be flush and causing a little gap after the mounting bolts have been torqued.
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Dodge Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: No, It is a great truck and I have little problems with it.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  mike switzer replied 1 year ago.

i know it calls for a gasket to be used but nothing seems to work as good as factory gaskets. if that leak is were you suspect it to be coming from. between the engine and water pump i would recommend when putting on the new pump to use an rtv in place of the gasket. i would recommend Permatex "right stuff" it usually comes in a small "cheese whiz" style can and is either black or grey. this will seal that pump without a doubt. just ensure both surfaces are clean when applying it. maybe a bit of brake cleaner to clean and dry the surface. i have pretty much gotten away from using any aftermarket gaskets unless they are equivalent to the factory style.

if you have no further questions i would appreciate a rating if you have a moment to spare. this is how i am given credit by the site